• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (2 Viewers)

150+ Waxwings at North Camp Station this morning. Disappointed to see photographers attempting to get too close to the bushes and thus scaring the birds away. I always thought the welfare of the birds was paramount but obviously not in some cases.

Rich

Yes, that's a shame. Explains why there were only 40 or so left when I got there around 11.30.

Matt.

Tice's Meadow was wind swept today. 59+ Lesser black-backed Gulls with 1 adult Yellow-legged Gull and the odd Common Gull amongst them. The omni present Sparrowhawk was hawking amongst the shrubs and 12 Snipe were around the Willows. The Water Rail is still in the drainage ditch by the gate; today around rubbish bags and an old football. Might have to get in there and clean it up.

Rich

Last edited:
Tice's Meadow was wind swept today. 59+ Lesser black-backed Gulls with 1 adult Yellow-legged Gull and the odd Common Gull amongst them. The omni present Sparrowhawk was hawking amongst the shrubs and 12 Snipe were around the Willows. The Water Rail is still in the drainage ditch by the gate; today around rubbish bags and an old football. Might have to get in there and clean it up.

Rich

a Yellow-legged Gull again this morning.

Rich

Tices this morning 08:00 - 10:30, Adult Yellow legged Gull on the workings, 10 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, 4 Teal, 2 Snipe, 3 Skylark, 78 Lapwing, 1 Goldcrest, Sparrowhawk over the meadow, & Green Sandpiper on the silt pond briefly.
Rich Sargeant also had the Water Rail in the usual place in the stream.

John.

Cold wet start at Tices this morning but some good birds found, the Water Rail seen briefly in the stream, Little Egret feeding along the River, at least 20 each of Siskin & Lesser Redpoll in the Alders, 112 Lapwing on the workings, 9 Teal, 2 Pochard, 8 Gadwall, & 2 Snipe.

John.

Tices 09:15 - 10:30, 106 Lapwing, 4 Snipe, 1 Jack Snipe, 7 Pochard, 10 Gadwall, 5 Shoveler, 2 Goldcrest, min 12 Redwing, 2 Lesser Redpoll, 2 Stock Dove, 6 Teal, Reed Bunting, & Sparrowhawk.

John.

Lovely morning at Tices today, the meadow bathed in golden light. First bird was the Water Rail seen briefly in the stream, then found the wintering Green Sand along the river. A flock of 15 Siskin in the Alders but no Redpolls today. Two Snipe flushed from the reedbeds, one a possible Jack, on the workings 118 Lapwing. The Pochard have increased to 9 today & 15 Gadwall.

John.

Spent a day birding the area with Matt today.

Tice's first was absolutley full of Gulls, but I only managed to find a definite Yellow-legged Gull before Matt got there. Otherwise, we accidentally flushed the Little Egret from the Blackwater, and we had a great encounter with a Goldcrest, foraging literally a metre or two away.

Then Cutmill had the hoped for Goosander (8, 2 males), and Mandarin (3, 2 males).

Thursley was too windy for the Shrike, but we found two singing Woodlark.

Finally, no definite Brambling at Crooksbury, but many Fringillids flying around in the distance, landing out of view of the viewpoint for the supposed roost.

An enjoyable day.

Spent a day birding the area with Matt today.

Tice's first was absolutley full of Gulls, but I only managed to find a definite Yellow-legged Gull before Matt got there. Otherwise, we accidentally flushed the Little Egret from the Blackwater, and we had a great encounter with a Goldcrest, foraging literally a metre or two away.

Then Cutmill had the hoped for Goosander (8, 2 males), and Mandarin (3, 2 males).

Thursley was too windy for the Shrike, but we found two singing Woodlark.

Finally, no definite Brambling at Crooksbury, but many Fringillids flying around in the distance, landing out of view of the viewpoint for the supposed roost.

An enjoyable day.

Sean,

Rich Horton had 10+ Bramblings at the roost yesterday. Also 1 Raven

Rich

A good first light trip to Tice's this morning. Gull and Lapwing numbers were high with over 100+ Lesser Black-backs present along with over 120+ Lapwings. Herring Gull (30+) have increased but no sign of the adult Yellow-legged Gull today. Common Gull (4) were found within the Black-headed Gulls (300+). Wildfowl numbers have increased with many Wigeon (32), Pochard (12), Gadwall (22), Tufties (12) and Teal (10+).

6 Snipe were flushed and the Little Egret was still along the Blackwater. As I type Rich H has just reported 20 Goosander at Cutt Mill (4 drakes) along with an adult Yellow-legged Gull. Might have to pop over.

Rich

Not much to add to Rich S's tally at Tices from yours truly, the Green Sandpiper was feeding along the Blackwater along with the Egret & two Buzzards, one of which was a pale individual. Also at least 2 Stock Dove in the paddocks with the Woodpigeons.

John.

We didn't see any other birders (we were there till 16:30)! Maybe we were in the wrong place.

I thought I heard a Raven at one point, but dismissed it.

Sean,

Raven has been seen regularly there by local and non local birders. There are reports of two over Puttenham, at Thursley, Cutt Mill and a local has told of a breeding pair near Shackleford.

Bramblings are a daily event flying into the laurels and Rhodedenrons north of the footpath (100 metres or so from the car park); I had reports from another birder on Friday and I think Rich H gets them most days. It is now the best site I know of.

Rich

Last edited:
A return to Cutt Mill after work this afternoon. 4 Mandarin on the House Pond along with 7 Goosander (1 drake). The adult Yellow-legged Gull was briefly present before it flew towards the Tarn but was not relocated. A lone Treecreeper was amongst a large mixed Tit flock between the Tarn and Warren Pond.

Rich

I've already had 2 sightings of Raven this year (one of 2 birds) at my patch in Busbridge, near Godalming. They've become a lot more frequent it seems. Also it's Bramblings galore too, a flock of up to 15 in my garden with many more being seen with Lesser Redpoll in the nearby woods. I had 7 in the garden today.

I've already had 2 sightings of Raven this year (one of 2 birds) at my patch in Busbridge, near Godalming. They've become a lot more frequent it seems. Also it's Bramblings galore too, a flock of up to 15 in my garden with many more being seen with Lesser Redpoll in the nearby woods. I had 7 in the garden today.

There appears to be a pair of Ravens (or perhaps more) flying around Thursley, Puttneham, Cutt Mill and Crooksbury. I have seen one at the latter and last year had one at Thundry Meadow. A couple of years back sightings were greeted with sceptisism in the Surrey birding fraternity, I had one rejected flying over the A3, but they are seen on an almost daily basis nowadays.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back