• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone been lucky enough to be the person to spot a raritee? (2 Viewers)

Very true: but there is a definite cachet in finding a rare bird and having the chance to share it with others.
My list (accepted records only!) would include:
BB Albatross (Norfolk)
3 Black Kites
2 Ring-billed Gulls
Flock of Arctic Redpolls
Marsh Sand
3 Pec Sands
Lancie
Caspian Tern
Gull-billed Tern
Serin
Never found a 'first' (Well: not one that was accepted!)

I found a 1st or so we thought. Fan-tailed warbler at Holme but it turns out a single observer had reported it 5 days earlier at Cley.

Last edited:
It wasn't me personally, but the small group I was with. We were the first to discover a young Red-backed Shrike in Lancashire about 12 years ago. Also discovered a Barred Warbler myself a few years earlier. Nothing since then really!

I had a Great White Egret at my local reserve a couple of years back (2003), i submitted my form etc to BBRC but never heard anything back. As i was the only person to see the bird (and had only been birding for about a year), the local reserve committee wouldn't accept the record as a Little Egret had been recorded in previous days at the site. They will however accept the record if BBRC accept the record, but as they've never got back, they either take a long time to decide or they haven't accepted it, but at least i know what i saw, what do i care if no one believes me :(
Guess it'll always be the case if i go birding alone, at least these days i (nearly!) always carry a camera with me.

Crazy Birder said:
I have never been lucky enough to have spotted a raritee and been the first person to see but have any of us?The closest to a raritee that i have seen if i recall correctly is a Red crested pochard! :h?:

Whilst in Estepona I found the first two Chimney Swifts ever to be recorded in the Iberian Peninsular. The record was accepted by the Spanish Rarities Committee and became a "first" for Spain.

Other birds first found by me and records accepted by the SRC include.

3rd and 4th for Spain. 2 Egyptian Geese. Estepona
29th for Spain. Little Swift. Estepona.
3rd and 4th for Spain. 2 Yellow-billed Storks. Doñana.
3rd for Spain. African Spoonbill. Doñana.
3rd for Spain. Desert Wheatear. Doñana.
4th for Andalucia. Roseate Tern. Huelva.
2nd for Doñana. Ring-necked Duck. Doñana.
3 different Western Reef Herons Gularis gularis (blue form). Doñana.
Numerous Ruddy Shelducks. Doñana.

Awaiting SRC decision.
Fork-tailed Flycatcher. 1st for Spain if accepted.
Red-winged Blackbird. 1st for Spain if accepted.
Roseate Tern. 5th for Andalucia if accepted
Possible American Bittern. 2nd for Spain if accepted.
Greater Spotted Eagle. Doñana.
Long-legged Buzzard. Doñana.
Marabou Stork. Doñana.
Red-necked Stint. 1st for Spain if accepted. Doñana.

Records rejected by the SRC.
Lesser Yellowlegs. Doñana.
2 Ring-billed Gulls. Estepona.
Cape Gannet. Estepona.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back