• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you compared the best Kowa (Genesis Prominar XD) side by side against the best Nikon (Monarch HG)? (1 Viewer)

. You see more alphas in the classified than anything else because if people don't use them a lot, and they need some extra cash for an emergency, they know where they can get $3000 and the NL is the first thing to go. If your binocular only costs $500 you figure you might as well keep it because it isn't worth that much.
mmmm....this could be interpreted another way - the folks with tons of money to blow on hobbies are more likely to buy & try stuff and are fascinated with the latest advances in bino tech. For me the "alphas" have the opposite effect - they tend to stick in my collection because I fear going over the edge of the looming depreciation cliff.

I figure as long as I hold onto them, I won't take a loss. Doesn't make any sense, but still....

mmmm....this could be interpreted another way - the folks with tons of money to blow on hobbies are more likely to buy & try stuff and are fascinated with the latest advances in bino tech. For me the "alphas" have the opposite effect - they tend to stick in my collection because I fear going over the edge of the looming depreciation cliff.

I figure as long as I hold onto them, I won't take a loss. Doesn't make any sense, but still....
The alphas are a lot like cars. It is better to buy used, so you don't take such a depreciation hit if you sell them. If you have $3000 tied up in a binocular, people feel they have to use them a lot, or they are wasting their money, but if you only have $500 tied up in a binocular you don't worry about it as much.

Last edited:
I have to agree there is a steep diminishing returns curve for high end optics, therefore I partially agree and disagree that the Swaro EL is not "worth" 2x the cost of the Nikon MHG.

Having said that, and having the Ziess SF and Nikon MHG myself and comparing it to my family member's ELs (all in 8/8.5x42 versions) to me the SF and ELs are woth 2x+ the cost of the MGH. Given the option I will pick up the SFs every-time without thinking twice and then the EL being a close second. And to to me that is worth the 2x+ cost. Of course "worth" is subjective and totally personal.

I have to agree there is a steep diminishing returns curve for high end optics, therefore I partially agree and disagree that the Swaro EL is not "worth" 2x the cost of the Nikon MHG.

Having said that, and having the Ziess SF and Nikon MHG myself and comparing it to my family member's ELs (all in 8/8.5x42 versions) to me the SF and ELs are woth 2x+ the cost of the MGH. Given the option I will pick up the SFs every-time without thinking twice and then the EL being a close second. And to to me that is worth the 2x+ cost. Of course "worth" is subjective and totally personal.
What I would like to see is for Nikon to make an MHG 10x42 IS. It would blow everything out of the water!

It would be too heavy. A 10x42 IS that is under 25 oz. would be perfect, or even an MHG 8x42 IS or MHG 8x32 IS. With IS, you don't need the as big of an aperture or EP because the IS keeps the EP centered over your eye.
The MHG right now is about 25 oz, with IS it would still be heavier, but a MHG 12X50 would still be light by comparison to any other 50's. And 12X would be amazing. I think Canon should've made the L line in 12X50 or even 2x42.

What I can say is that, beyond certain quality, improvements become more and more difficult & more and more costly.

At some point, an increase of, let's say, 20% in quality, comes with an increase of 50% in price.

And at the next step, an increase of an extra 10% in quality, comes with an increase of 100% in price (twice as much).

It's just an example.

I mean, as the quality increases in gradual smaller steps, the price does it in gradual bigger steps. It's a geometric and not an arithmetic progression (price vs quality follows an upward curve of increasing slope, and not a straight line.)

I'm not revealing anything new here, I know. But it's true that in the end it comes down to a very personal point of view to decide if something being 10 or 20% better is worth twice the price, especially at this price level.
We hear this a lot.

Price is quantifiable, a number. How does one put a value/number on quality, performance, features, CS. Seems apples and oranges....

50% increase in price = /?%#*& of those

From where I live, a new MHG 8x42 (standard 1yr international warranty) can be ordered for about US$820 at a local camera store. I will have to fork out close to 3.5x that price for a leica noctivid or zeiss sf 8x42. I've also noted local price increases for leica and zeiss sports optics recently.

The MHG right now is about 25 oz, with IS it would still be heavier, but a MHG 12X50 would still be light by comparison to any other 50's. And 12X would be amazing. I think Canon should've made the L line in 12X50 or even 2x42.
The L line in a 12x50 or 12x42 would be a brick. That is the big reason I sold my Canon 10x42 IS-L even though the optics were very good. Way too heavy and bulky. Canon should make an 8x32 IS that weighs about 20 oz. and then they would attract some birders to IS.

We hear this a lot.

Price is quantifiable, a number. How does one put a value/number on quality, performance, features, CS. Seems apples and oranges....

50% increase in price = /?%#*& of those
That's very true. Yes. An increase in price can be numerically quantified (objective value), whereas an increase in quality can't (subjective value).

Still, though, you can see if the difference in image quality is: very noticeable, moderately noticeable, barely noticeable / almost identical, or identical / equivalent.

And, yet, it comes down to each one to evaluate whether a huge difference in price justifies not only a very noticeable increase in image quality, but also a barely noticeable increase in image quality, even if you cannot numerically quantify it.

In other words, the same old story.

I recently (within a year) took my Nikon MHG 8x42 to a camera store that had Swarovski products . I did a brief side by side comparison with the 8.5x42 EL . You can tell that the EL's a better binocular but not by much is correct . I preferred the feel of the Monarch in my hands and also like the Monarch's look .
Totally agree, small for a 42mm and light, felt great to me. The NL may sway you though, ergos are a dream.

The L line in a 12x50 or 12x42 would be a brick. That is the big reason I sold my Canon 10x42 IS-L even though the optics were very good. Way too heavy and bulky. Canon should make an 8x32 IS that weighs about 20 oz. and then they would attract some birders to IS.
20oz 32mm IS is not going to happen. But the 32 now is 27oz and is not bad at all. It’s a very usable as a birding bino, but I’m not very impressed with the image. The two binoculars next to it in the picture absolutely blow it away, so does the lesser priced Vipers (not in this picture).

Attachments

• E7193C8D-DD82-4D11-B2E8-2968618FB3AB.jpeg
    E7193C8D-DD82-4D11-B2E8-2968618FB3AB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
20oz 32mm IS is not going to happen. But the 32 now is 27oz and is not bad at all. It’s a very usable as a birding bino, but I’m not very impressed with the image. The two binoculars next to it in the picture absolutely blow it away, so does the lesser priced Vipers (not in this picture).
Until you switch that magic IS button and then the Canon's leave the regular binoculars in the dust for detail with almost a 40% resolution advantage. I can ID a bird at a much greater distance with a Canon 8x20 IS than I can with a NL 10x42! Once I compared my big heavy NL 10x42 with my Canon 8x20 IS and I saw I could ID birds at a much greater distance and I only had to carry less than 1/2 the weight, I sold the NL's the next day. I don't like the newer Canon 10x32, 12x32 or 14x32's. The eye cups just don't work for me. They are too long for the eye relief with my eye sockets and hard. I prefer the older Canon 10x30 IS II and 12x36 IS III. They are also less expensive. 😁

Last edited:
That's very true. Yes. An increase in price can be numerically quantified (objective value), whereas an increase in quality can't (subjective value).
I think an increase in quality can be objective because it can be measured, and is quantified.
Still, though, you can see if the difference in image quality is: very noticeable, moderately noticeable, barely noticeable / almost identical, or identical / equivalent.
This becomes more difficult because , how much of a difference one notices is predicate on the individuals eyesight and their ability to see the difference. You hand me a MHG and an EL , I’ll notice the qualitative difference in a second , my wife with similar eyesight barely notices any difference, and my son a complete novice is amazed at the difference. Quality can be measured , it’s not always discerned.
And, yet, it comes down to each one to evaluate whether a huge difference in price justifies not only a very noticeable increase in image quality, but also a barely noticeable increase in image quality, even if you cannot numerically quantify it.

So true.

Paul

Given my experience with the NLs,' for me lovely "grip" (for lack of a better, more succinct word), I surprise myself by saying its more than just view quality. A bino is a package, we decide on its value to us various ways, as is often described here. AND we each get to put our value on those various attributes. Yes that is the subjective part. An old Econ Professor opined, when we buy something we are casting a dollar vote. We're saying, "Yes I like or need this thing enough that I will pay that for it."

Its popular to say here we think this or that bino cost X% more, while its optics are only worth Y% more. But who's value is Y? So whats the value then of repeating this when it is so personal and we dont know the speaker? Context is needed and missing.. just about always.

Last edited:
Until you switch that magic IS button and then the Canon's leave the regular binoculars in the dust for detail with almost a 40% resolution advantage. I can ID a bird at a much greater distance with a Canon 8x20 IS than I can with a NL 10x42! Once I compared my big heavy NL 10x42 with my Canon 8x20 IS and I saw I could ID birds at a much greater distance and I only had to carry less than 1/2 the weight, I sold the NL's the next day. I don't like the newer Canon 10x32, 12x32 or 14x32's. The eye cups just don't work for me. They are too long for the eye relief with my eye sockets and hard. I prefer the older Canon 10x30 IS II and 12x36 IS III. They are also less expensive. 😁
Of course we can id more detail on an object with the IS, it’s just the overall image is not the most pleasing. I believe there is individual physical attributes and limitations of the person that make the difference between the low optical level of the IS 20 and a 42mm NL become less apparent. I think that difference is more about you than these two binoculars. There is no way in million years I’d choose a cheap low level plastic Chinese optic over one of the finest optical tools ever made, regardless if I can see one more piece of feather structure at 100 yards. The overall image quality and feel of the NL is just so much more enjoyable.

I think (I’m quite sure) that there are other reasons you sell your binoculars after having them for a short time, and I know it’s not because your Canon IS 20mm is better. A matter of fact I’d be willing to wager that the canon will be up foe sale soon. Let us all hope we don’t go through another Meopta sale fiasco 🤪✌🏼🙏🏼.

Paul

From where I live, a new MHG 8x42 (standard 1yr international warranty) can be ordered for about US$820 at a local camera store. I will have to fork out close to 3.5x that price for a leica noctivid or zeiss sf 8x42. I've also noted local price increases for leica and zeiss sports optics recently.
The 8x42 and 10x42 and 8x30 MHG's are lighter than most of the expensive binoculars too, they're a great value. Light weight could make them more attractive to some than the expensive ones, if you carry them on long birding sessions the weight difference is huge between something like 24 ounces and 30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back