• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk - Monterey, California 31 January (1 Viewer)

jmtully

United States
Two photos of same hawk in a tree top in a suburban neighborhood. My best guess is red-shouldered based on apparent pattern on abdomen which is slightly evident in the first picture. I didn’t see anything that really looked pointed toward re-tailed or anything else. Any ideas? Thank you!

Attachments

• 01D42B68-F7E8-4FD4-A7E1-484DCF7ADAB5.jpeg
    01D42B68-F7E8-4FD4-A7E1-484DCF7ADAB5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • C93D4B80-128E-44D1-A4B2-108C2EF42606.jpeg
    C93D4B80-128E-44D1-A4B2-108C2EF42606.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
I'd guess red-tailed hawk. Doesn't have the stocky/stumpy proportions of red-shouldered hawk.
I didn't suggest an id because I was unsure. However, aren't the white rump/tail bar (unclear to me which) and the apparent horizontal fine belly bars at odds with red-tailed?

...is ferruginous hawk out of the question?

It doesn't strike me as a perfect fit for any particular species but juv Red-Tail maybe feels closest. The overall slight appearance could suggest Red-shouldered, though, as would the barring, if it's real.

I'd expect Ferruginous to be perceptibly bulkier all round than this.

Thanks for the help here.

I ruled out ferruginous hawk based mostly on habitat. This was in a suburban neighborhood surrounded by wooded area. I looked at ferruginous as more open country.

Would we expect to see more of the leg on a red-shouldered hawk? That might point towards red-tailed?

The plumage seems to fit "Western" Redtail OK to me, with all the variation that they tend to show. Unless it's a true dark morph, Ferruginous should not show such an evenly dark brown head and throat (good for Redtail).

It is a Red-tailed. The combination of dark head + pale chest = red-tailed, on the west coast. This one has some brown streaking on its chest, but that's not unusual for Red-tails; and that black shadow is confusing things somewhat. You can see wingtips extending nearly to the tail-tip, ruling out red-shouldered (which would have a different shape to the head and body, and much darker and blotchier marking on chest and belly). That big dark head atop a pale body really rules out all other options in California.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back