• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heath Fritillaries (1 Viewer)

Peter M Beesley

Information please regarding the Heath Fritillaries at Hockley Woods in Essex. Are they still on the wing in sufficient numbers to warrant a visit from Peterborough.

Thanks

They have been in decline in the area over the past few years, probably in part at least due to lack of suitable management. Although they should still be on the wing, you'll be lucky to manage a count into double figures.

Starvelarks Wood, which is 1 or 2 miles SE of the A127 / A129 junction has been the most reliable site in recent years, might be worth a try there as well.

The fritts were not out when I visited Starvelarks a week or so ago so hopefully they should be out now. they were also not out at Pound Wood. From my understaning only a few have been seen at Hockley and Belfairs Woods which is a dramatic downfall from the hundreds that could seen on the wing at any of these sites a few years ago.

I worry for the viability of these colonies so will be interested in knowing how many people have seen.

I saw some at Belfairs this afternoon, all were quite fresh so will be on the wing for a little while yet. Had a wander around Starvelarks too, but didn't see anything, it all looks a bit overgrown..:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back