• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello - and Oystercatchers?! (1 Viewer)

Paul1381

Scotland
Hi all

Only just signed up there. Got a general, vague interest in wildlife but wouldn’t normally have thought myself interested enough to sign up to a forum. However, I’m working a night shift tonight at my work which is in the middle of urban Lanarkshire, although next to a slither of green belt between Hamilton and East Kilbride, and something has piqued my interest.

During the night some birds having been making a racket, making a high pitched call. It’s now daylight and I heard them again in the car park, looked out and I saw two large black and white birds with orange beaks. A quick google search reveals them to be Oystercatchers?! I always thought a bird like that, as much as I knew about them, would hang around the coast - clue is in the name - but sure enough we have a pair here in a car park surrounded by office blocks. Is this common for these birds to do this, Or might they be here because it’s not far from farmland and greenery? I should say Calderglen Country park isn’t far, might that be an attraction for them? I’d be interested to read the thoughts of experienced folk on here.

Anyway, we’ll see if this is the start of a long relationship with bird watching!

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I don’t know much about them, but did find this from discoverwildlife.com :
“During the winter, oystercatchers are still very much a bird of tidal estuaries and rocky shores. During the breeding season, however, they can be found much further inland thanks to populations moving along linear waterways. In Aberdeen and other Scottish towns, they have even been known to nest on rooftops!”

Hi Paul and welcome to BirdForum. There’s plenty of Oystercatchers around inland at this time of the year. Particularly in your neck of the woods.

Rich

Hi Paul and a warm welcome from me too. Indeed Oystercatchers come inland to breed and are often seen around towns. Those that have failed to breed will now be heading back to the coast.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome!

We've got a pair with chick that have nested on the local brewery bottling hall roof. It is next to a tidal creek, but they're not uncommonly found in local fields a little distance from water.

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back