• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Kent, UK! (1 Viewer)

EmB

United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I've always been aware of the birds around me, recently though it's descended into a huge responsibility where the birds in my garden take it in turns to request their individually preferred treats, I've seriously made a humongous rod for my own back ๐Ÿ˜€ All was chugging along OK until a female sparrowhawk chose my garden for a daily breakfast visit. I immediately repositioned feeders but she still caught at least 10 of the residents I spoke to daily (when alone at home obviously!). The fact that she ate them sitting on the trampoline and then dropped the bones onto the bed of it meant I was euphoric when she moved on about 3 weeks ago!
The monkey nuts are currently causing hilarity....I've moved them gradually nearer to my back door, and I now put them on a table right next to the door where it's a race between the magpies, crows, jackdaws and 2 squirrels (the jay has lost it's nerve!) which is followed by them banging the nuts against the extension roof with such vigour! I've put unshelled nuts next to the monkey nuts and they are always ignored which fascinates me, they choose to work for the food and actually aren't that bothered if they flick the insides out of reach. I'm spending too much time now wondering about boredom amongst birds, and how garden birds are evolving considering the billion pound bird food market in the UK ๐Ÿค”
There's a Robin asking for a suet pellet in the garden, and a blackbird requesting a sultana...these 2 in particular stare directly at me, it can occasionally feel a little unnerving ๐Ÿ˜‚ I better go!
I Look forward to getting involved!

Hi Em and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Little finger and twisted come to mind ;) It sounds like you have a very healthy and diverse population of birds. But do try and enjoy the Sparrowhawk visits... they do have to eat too. I so rarely get to see one in my garden area.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Em, welcome to birdforum, we hope you enjoy the site and feel free to join in where ever you wish. (y)
cheers,
Andy

Hi there and a warm welcome to you(y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Thanks for the fab welcome! ๐Ÿ˜
And a welcome from me too - Sounds like your garden birds have you right where they want you Em ๐Ÿ˜

I agree with Delia, Sparrowhawks are great garden visitors and a sign of a very healthy local eco system (you donโ€™t have to make it too easy for them though, so moving the feeders to somewhere where the bids have a chance to dive for cover will minimise the risk a bit ๐Ÿ˜‰)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back