• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from South Oxfordshire (1 Viewer)

Hugh Clayton

I've only just discovered this excellent forum. I've always been interested in wildlife, but have always concentrated on plants, animals, insects and micro-organisms. Now I want to learn much more about birds. I was looking at the full moon in daylight through binoculars a few weeks ago from my town garden and suddenly noticed a flock of gulls hounding a red kite directly overhead. They were all so high that I couldn't see them with the naked eye. This was the first time I'd seen a red kite from the garden, although in the neighbouring countryside they are now the most common birds of prey. I could watch them all day.

Hello Hugh and a very warm welcome on behalf of the staff here at Bird Forum.

You couldn't have found a more extensive forum to answer all your questions or for just your reading enjoyment.

Looking forward to hearing more about the birds in your area.

Hugh, Welcome to BF from a neighbour over in Bucks. We regularly have a red kite above our garden, he even swooped down once to take a dead juv starling!

I'm sure you'll find lots of interesting stuff to read on here.
Regards

Many thanks for the welcome. In our part of the world, the red kite has become the commonest bird of prey. It used to be all kestrels with the occasional sparrowhawk, then buzzards arrived followed by red kites, which were released about 15 miles away. But that was years ago. Kestrels have now almost disappeared, there are fewer buzzards, but the kites are visible over and over again.

helenol said:
Hugh, Welcome to BF from a neighbour over in Bucks. We regularly have a red kite above our garden, he even swooped down once to take a dead juv starling!

I'm sure you'll find lots of interesting stuff to read on here.
Regards

Hello Mervyn, I spent the first 10 years of my life in Divinity Road and used to play in a big garden off Old Road. I went to school with the son of the farmer whose land was where Oxford Brookes is now. What changes!

headington7 said:
Welcome Hugh !
Mervyn in Headington.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back