• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Toulouse, the pink city (1 Viewer)

I am a 77 year old man who has just discovered a budding passion for digiscoping. I just came back from a trip to Costa Rica where I had the chance to observe some magnificent birds including the quetzal. This is thanks to a wonderful guide whose photo equipment "caught my eye". I have had a BRESSER Condor 20-60x85 spotting scope for a few years and recently an iPhone 13 PRO. The challenge for me is to combine the two. So I will post in the right place to try to get help for my future purchases. Thank you for welcoming me into your community.
Welcome MIKADO,
I lived a few miles north of Toulouse and never realised it was called the 'Pink' city?

regards
Merlin

And yes, because of the red bricks that adorn its walls... What city did you live in?
I didn't live in a city, I lived in a village seventeen miles north of Toulouse.
However despite all of the times I went to Toulouse and the 'hundreds' of trips to the airport I never noticed distinctive red bricks, perhaps I was looking more for birds?
Neither do I remember any of the many Brits in the village or the French referring to it as the 'Pink' city, perhaps it was the Gaillac wine.

regards
Merlin

The origin of the Toulouse appellation “pink city”

Paris is nicknamed the "city of light" because of the birth of the first public lighting under Louis XIV in 1665 in this city. Added to this is the appearance of the first establishment of lanterns. Marseille was previously called the "Phocaean city" since the Greek sailors from the city of Phocaea created its port around the year -600 BC. Their objective at the time was to flee the Persian invasions. Each town in France has its charming nickname. Yet most people don't even know its origin. Thus, Toulouse is nicknamed the "pink city", due to the fact of many buildings built with terracotta bricks of this color. This title was awarded to it by tourism professionals in 1906. Abundant in the region, clay is very popular for construction. It is the primary material used to make Roman bricks (also called fairground bricks) and Toulouse tiles. The Romans installed many brickyards in Toulouse, which makes the city pink. It should be noted that these bricks are very specific due to their unique dimensions: 42 x 28 x 5 cm. If the metropolis is called "pink city", it refers to the color of the walls and roofs. These turn pink in the morning, red at noon and turn purple in the evening.

Extract of Pourquoi Toulouse s’appelle la ville rose ?

The origin of the Toulouse appellation “pink city”

Paris is nicknamed the "city of light" because of the birth of the first public lighting under Louis XIV in 1665 in this city. Added to this is the appearance of the first establishment of lanterns. Marseille was previously called the "Phocaean city" since the Greek sailors from the city of Phocaea created its port around the year -600 BC. Their objective at the time was to flee the Persian invasions. Each town in France has its charming nickname. Yet most people don't even know its origin. Thus, Toulouse is nicknamed the "pink city", due to the fact of many buildings built with terracotta bricks of this color. This title was awarded to it by tourism professionals in 1906. Abundant in the region, clay is very popular for construction. It is the primary material used to make Roman bricks (also called fairground bricks) and Toulouse tiles. The Romans installed many brickyards in Toulouse, which makes the city pink. It should be noted that these bricks are very specific due to their unique dimensions: 42 x 28 x 5 cm. If the metropolis is called "pink city", it refers to the color of the walls and roofs. These turn pink in the morning, red at noon and turn purple in the evening.

Extract of Pourquoi Toulouse s’appelle la ville rose ?
Mikado
Thanks for the info, now I know I might educate some of my French friends.

regards
Merlin

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back