• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID this bird call - Holme Fen, Cambridgeshire (1 Viewer)

Wisewoman

England
Hello,

I am new here and hang around nature reserves a lot. A couple of months ago I was visiting Holme Fen, near Peterborough, Cambridgeshire. It is a lovely, predominantly silver birch, woodland with very peaty soil and a couple of lakes with lots of waterfowl on them.

Info about Holme Fen

The sun had set and in the dark I heard the following. Its been annoying me for weeks - can anyone tell me what bird that is?! You may have to turn the volume up as the recording is not that loud - but it is repeated several times, a quavering type of call of fixed length. Also, it was NOT coming from the direction of the lake, but instead seemed to be coming from the main woodland area behind me so I do not think it is any sort of water bird.

Location - Holme Fen near Peterborough
Time - 9 -10pm approx?
Date - 14th August 2022

Unknown Bird sound, Holme Fen, August 2022 (alternative download)

Many thanks,
Melissa

Last edited:
I did some management work there in the lat 70's and remember the metal post that showed the shrinkage of the area since the drainage schemes of old. I was involved in the removal of encroaching Birch but there were plans to try and retain the groundwater level - nice quiet place, I wonder whether it is more woodland than heath now:unsure:

Good birding -

Laurie -

Welcome to BirdForum, Melissa. It's an interesting recording and I can't quite place it. It's possible that it's not a bird - maybe an amphibian?

Welcome to BirdForum, Melissa. It's an interesting recording and I can't quite place it. It's possible that it's not a bird - maybe an amphibian?
Hi Andrew - as you are Professor of Listening - does this have you stumped? Very good point about it possibly being an amphibian - but to me, it was up and in the trees but I will go and do some googling on this ...

This is annoying the heck out of me! lol

Thanks,
Melissa

Last edited:
Welcome to BF.
Your original sound upload was actually much louder and clearer, and, from that, I took it to be an odd/atypical tawny owl hoot ( + coot from the lake? or even a tawny owl's 'kee-wik'?). In the present format though it does sound more 'I wonder what that is' 🤔
I wonder whether it is more woodland than heath now:unsure:
Very!

I did some management work there in the lat 70's and remember the metal post that showed the shrinkage of the area since the drainage schemes of old. I was involved in the removal of encroaching Birch but there were plans to try and retain the groundwater level - nice quiet place, I wonder whether it is more woodland than heath now:unsure:

Good birding -

Laurie -
I have been visiting Holme Fen since 1989 as I was born and bred in Peterborough - I always thought of it as mainly silver birch woodland - there are a few areas that have been cleared and are still clear in the middle - it is a very large reserve!

The Holme Fen posts are still there - Every Beltane (May Day) Morris Dancers go there to dance at dawn!

All the best,
Melissa

Hi Melissa and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Andrew - as you are Professor of Listening - does this have you stumped? Very good point about it possibly being a reptile - but to me, it was up and in the trees but I will go and do some googling on this ...

This is annoying the heck out of me! lol

Thanks,
Melissa
It's fairly easy to stump me to be honest! It does sound vaguely familiar but I can't place it.

Welcome to BF.
Your original sound upload was actually much louder and clearer, and, from that, I took it to be an odd/atypical tawny owl hoot ( + coot from the lake? or even a tawny owl's 'kee-wik'?). In the present format though it does sound more 'I wonder what that is' 🤔

Very!
I agree - Tawny was my first thought - but i could tell it just wasn't quite right. I went on a quick tour de force of all the british owl calls - and drew a blank... Perhaps a key to this was it was late dusk/night time and there arent that many things that call at night!

Also - it was very consistent and constant - I listened to it for well over 10 minutes and it did not change in any way plus I also heard it the following night.

Last edited:
I have never knowingly heard Tawny Owl call like that but I would go with the ID. It sounds like the place has changed a lot as there was a lot of Heath at the time - we were felling and poisoning the outer ring of seed trees as the Nature Conservancy where going to use a wheeled brush cutter to tackle the smaller stuff.

Laurie -

Sounds tawny owl to me

Sounds something similar to this….. august is late summer too
I think you must be right - It does sound very much like that doesnt it - though I dont recall any of the 'shrieking' soounds but given everything else, I think i am going to have to settle for a Tawny... Thank you very much for finding that video which seems to confirm it. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back