• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identifying a Cypriot Bird (1 Viewer)

Hi there. I have just returned from my mums in Cyprus and there is a bird that we heard every single day and it is bugging us both as to what it is ! Unfortunately there does not appear to be any good Cyprus bird books so I am hoping someone on here may be able to help although the only info I can give is very little because I never actually got to see it, only hear it.

My mum lives in a village in the mountains in Anogyra which is half way between Pathos and Limmasol. She is surrounded by open fields and farmland. Every day we would see this little bird fly over, about the size of a sparrow, maybe a little smaller, and he always flew at a height where we couldn't really get so see its markings or colourings. What was distinct about it however, is that as it flew, it kind of bobbed in flight and as it did, would make this singular 'tic' sound which was quite loud and travelled quite far. I have no idea how you can start to identify a bird just by its bird song but I am so keen to work out what this was as it is a regular bird at mums place although we have only seen him and heard him in flight.

If anyone has any ideas it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks !

Thanks Jon. I have googled that bird and its song but that doesn't sound like it at all sadly. But thank you. I will just know it when I hear it. This loud, sharp 'tic......tic.......tic......' as it bobs in flight. I so want to know what it was as it was so resident across the fields. I wish I had more to go on but thats it !

"She is surrounded by open fields and farmland. Every day we would see this little bird fly over, about the size of a sparrow, maybe a little smaller, and he always flew at a height where we couldn't really get so see its markings or colourings. What was distinct about it however, is that as it flew, it kind of bobbed in flight and as it did, would make this singular 'tic' sound which was quite loud and travelled quite far. "

Description sounds perfect for Zitting Cisticola...

Thanks Jon. I have googled that bird and its song but that doesn't sound like it at all sadly. But thank you. I will just know it when I hear it. This loud, sharp 'tic......tic.......tic......' as it bobs in flight. I so want to know what it was as it was so resident across the fields. I wish I had more to go on but thats it !

Zitting Cisticola matches your description. The song would most likely be different to the birds call, which it would give in this type of flight

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back