• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identifying this hawk - Nova Scotia (2 Viewers)

CardinalFan

Canada
Noticed this hawk in my backyard on October 29th. Initially thought it was a Sharp Shinned or Cooper's Hawk but now am wondering if it could be a Swainson's, which would be a very rare sighting for where I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Thanks

Attachments

• Hawk.JPG
    Hawk.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 72
Sharpie for me. Colour very different to Swainson's
Thank you The_Fern. I originally thought the same until I saw a picture of a Swainson's and I thought gee that sort of looks like my hawk.

This one comes back fairly regularly and this past Saturday he managed to grab a song sparrow that was feeding on some seed that had fallen to the ground. I've since modified my feeders to not allow seed to reach the ground now.

It is a male sharp shinned .

I think I see where you are coming from. Some Swainsons are colorwise not that far off, but pattern and structure is very different...and Swainson's are much larger, and longwinged and shorttailed in comparison to the short winged, longtaild Accipiter species ...look at these Swainson's to see what I mean

It is a male sharp shinned .

I think I see where you are coming from. Some Swainsons are colorwise not that far off, but pattern and structure is very different...and Swainson's are much larger, and longwinged and shorttailed in comparison to the short winged, longtaild Accipiter species ...look at these Swainson's to see what I mean

Thanks Joern, those links helped a lot with comparison. I've lived in my house for 24 years and have never had a hawk visit so it was quite a thrill to see this guy and now thanks to this site know exactly what kind of hawk he is. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back