• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me choose my new bins for around $1,000 (1 Viewer)

Frogfish

I started with Pentax Papilio 8.5 x21 and now use Bushnell Legend HD 10x42.

I much prefer the x10 and don't have a problem with keeping the image stable, I assume this is because I am also a keen bird photographer and used to shooting with long lenses.

I like the sharpness and brightness of the Legends, I don't like the build quality having had the diopter cover breaking into two within the first month.

Priorities in order of importance :

Resolution/sharpness
Light transmission/brightness
FOV
Waterproof

Not important :
Ergonomics (never seems to bother me - whatever the fit, cameras or bins, I just get used to it)
Eye Relief ( I very rarely have any blackouts with the Legends, even without extending the eyecups)
CA

The Zeiss Conquests and Vortex Vipers have been suggested. Is there anything I am missing ? Nikon ? Kowa ? Leopold ? Maybe used Swarovskis ?

I'd really appreciate your advice based on experience !
Thanks
Kevin

The Conquest HD's are awfully hard to beat for the money. Only rub is the eyecups (I had two come apart). Zeiss is redesigning them and will send out updated eyecups when they're ready later this year. But the optics, balance, focuser, and price point are really quite good.

The Zeiss Conquest HD is a very good binocular but on sharpness I think it can be beaten by a few non-alpha models I've tried.

I think the Kowa B1 is an exceptional binocular but quite pricey and 34oz/960g is too much for me.

The Meopta/Cabelas is very good but I don't find those fat barrels the most relaxing of grip and it's still about 32oz/895g.

The Vortex Razor HD 10x42 at 25oz/700g is more to my liking but curiously I preferred the 10x50. The FOV is a little narrower but a higher proportion of the field seemed really sharp, and the 28oz/800g plus hand fit and balance was really steady for me. In low light would be better than the others of course.

David

Last edited:
The Meopta Meostar HD was the best I found for me at that price. Love these bins. The Zeiss conquest HD was just as good but I felt the Meoptas had slightly better contrast and I just wasn't crazy about the Zeiss eyecups for some reason.

The Meopta Meostar HD was the best I found for me at that price. Love these bins. The Zeiss conquest HD was just as good but I felt the Meoptas had slightly better contrast and I just wasn't crazy about the Zeiss eyecups for some reason.

I was able to compare both the Cabelas Euro and the Conquest HD, both
in 10x42 at a Cabelas. Hard to do any kind of optics comparison in a
store setting. Both seemed very good, in my store test.

I do prefer the ergos of the Conquest, 25. oz. slim and easy to handle.
The Euro seemed short and squat, and 32 oz.
That made it an easy call for me.

Jerry

The Zeiss Conquest HD is a very good binocular but on sharpness I think it can be beaten by a few non-alpha models I've tried.

I think the Kowa B1 is an exceptional binocular but quite pricey and 34oz/960g is too much for me.

The Meopta/Cabelas is very good but I don't find those fat barrels the most relaxing of grip and it's still about 32oz/895g.

The Vortex Razor HD 10x42 at 25oz/700g is more to my liking but curiously I preferred the 10x50. The FOV is a little narrower but a higher proportion of the field seemed really sharp, and the 28oz/800g plus hand fit and balance was really steady for me. In low light would be better than the others of course.

David

Hi David,

The Razor HD 10x42 is very good indeed and I am planning to purchase the 10x50 spec as well. Apart from low light situation, how the big brother performs better optically ?

Andy

Andy,

I don't think I can offer a whole lot more as it was just one of of many from Vortex I tried during a fairly short visit to their stand. I'd confirmed a previous impression that the Razor HD was usefully sharper than the Viper HD as the 8x42 and as an afterthought picked up the big Razors and was just wowed, in fact I thought I'd picked up the 12x. A quick comparison to the 10x42 confirmed I could see even more detail, with seemingly better contrast, broader sweet spot and even better CA control. Possibly just the benefit of a longer focal length (the 12x50 was surprisingly disappointing for CA though).

David

"the Euros seem short and squat, and 32 oz"

true, but the optics are great

I bought a pair of the EuroHD from the bargain barn
but returned due to a chip in the ep,
replaced them with the Legend
but the Euros are better
equal to my SW 8.5x42-nonSVs-I think

edj

edj

If I didn't go with the Cabela HD I'd go for the Razor HD. I didn't much enjoy the Conquest HD I tried. If you are looking to save some money while retaining near alpha quality I'd look at the Leopold BX4 McKinley HD. I just purchased a pair from a forum member and they are absolutely alpha level in terms of optics and built similar to a tank. They are built in China and I have read a review or two mentioning complaints regarding seeming QC issues, but this pair and the two (8x and 10x) I tried in stores were just fine aside from a nearly imperceptible amount of play in the focus knob.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Some may not be easy to acquire here (China) or are very expensive, based on preliminary research.
Then I may wait until November to buy them in HK. If still no luck I'll buy from Amazon USA and ask a friend to bring them over - warranties then become problematic though.

Cheers
Kevin

Andy,

I don't think I can offer a whole lot more as it was just one of of many from Vortex I tried during a fairly short visit to their stand. I'd confirmed a previous impression that the Razor HD was usefully sharper than the Viper HD as the 8x42 and as an afterthought picked up the big Razors and was just wowed, in fact I thought I'd picked up the 12x. A quick comparison to the 10x42 confirmed I could see even more detail, with seemingly better contrast, broader sweet spot and even better CA control. Possibly just the benefit of a longer focal length (the 12x50 was surprisingly disappointing for CA though).

David

Thanks. I was going to purchase the 12x50 but hold back after seeing your comments regarding CA control. They are supposed APO which should perform better at this area.

Andy

I've been researching the recommendations given here .. and that naturally leads to other 'discoveries' !

Any opinions on :

Kowa 10x42 BD Series DCF
Leica BA (used) 10x42
Steiner Ranger Pro 10x42

The Meopta/Cabela HD are very difficult to find (if not impossible) outside of the USA. The Razors are more expensive than the Zeiss Conquests (which may be my final choice at the moment).

Any opinions on the value (to you) of 10x50 over 10x42 for birding ?

I've been researching the recommendations given here .. and that naturally leads to other 'discoveries' !

Any opinions on :

Kowa 10x42 BD Series DCF
Leica BA (used) 10x42
Steiner Ranger Pro 10x42

The Meopta/Cabela HD are very difficult to find (if not impossible) outside of the USA. The Razors are more expensive than the Zeiss Conquests (which may be my final choice at the moment).

Any opinions on the value (to you) of 10x50 over 10x42 for birding ?

I do not know how it is in other parts of the world, but right now here in the Netherlands Leica gives a 200 euro cashback on their new Trininovids. That makes for the 10x42 1045 euro and for the 8x42 999 euro.

Thanks for the tip Sybo !

Today I went to try out the Zeiss Conquest 10x42. Very nice but as far as an improvement over my Bushnell Legend HDs .... underwhelmed for nearly US$1,000 more. When I tried my friend's Swaros it was WOW ! The Zeiss didn't give me anything close to that.

I admit of course that hanging out of the shop window to test on passers by and parked cars/bikes below me and across the road isn't the best test; colour was great .. very neutral, the lenses were sharp, no noticeable CA, nice & bright, comfortable in the hand, I found the focus knob a fraction too sensitive but acceptable, size - felt good in the hand although the focus knob can not be reached by the thumb underneath.

I won't be putting out another 1k for these though. Like to try the Leica Trinovids I think.

Last edited:
Greetings. I do not know how easy is it for you to import it, but here in the US it is possible with some persistence to buy a demo New Trinovid 8 or 10 x 42 for around $1100. It is a very competent model, comparable to the Ultravid model to a very great degree, and should serve you for many years to come (also with 10 year guarantee).

I am reading between the lines that you are seeking excellence level above what the 2nd tier alpha binoculars (e.g., Zeiss Conquest HD) can offer. If so, then seriously consider waiting for few months then acquire the 1st tier alpha you think the best. The joy of the clear and clean vistas they produce is immense, and as time is passing quickly (as is certainly the case for me) the value of this joy far exceeds the additional cost. If you can, carpe diem, and take the plunge. Enjoy in good health.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back