• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for new birding bins (1 Viewer)

Apologies for chiming in so late Z. I owned the same binocular you do, which I enjoyed to the very last day I used it (link to my post in an old thread). I now own a Zeiss 8x32 FL, but there are lots of really good options in the 8x32/30 and even smaller 8x40/42 class. I recommend you try as many as you can, the more educated you are the happier you'll be with your final choice. For my part I have gravitated towards using the 8x42 FL for many of the situations I use 8x, but the 8x32 is still valuable when birding at closer range, in good conditions and where a smaller/lighter binocular is required, such as when travelling.
What a great read that old post provided. When I retire the SLCs it will certainly be a sad moment but I’ll donate them to a poor ornithology student intern at one of my former employers and I’m sure the recipient will be ecstatic

Since this thread started Zeiss have released the SFL 8x30 onto the market. I haven’t had chance to look at a pair but it would be a shame to miss them from your comparisons
For the record I am a Swarovski fan and own a pair of both 8x32 and 10x42 ELs and love both them but the SFL binoculars seem to be a great option

The NL are well worth it, they are truly amazing. I just got NL 12x42's and it's not like you're using 12x binos at all. The FOV and offhand image is amazing. The ergonomics and eye cups are also very very nice upgrades. I'm now looking to upgrade my EL 8.5x42's to NL 8x42's or 10x42's. The 10x42's have a wider FOV than my EL 8.5's.

Euro has a very good deal on some "like new" NL 8x42's. I've bought several like new advertised units from them over the years and everything has been 100% brand new in the box.

Well after much debate I ended up getting a used pair of SF 10x32s. They aren't as light as I'd prefer but feel lighter than my Swarovski SLCs even though they are basically the same weight. That whole "weight and balance" change appears to have paid off.

First impressions of the SF 10x32 are just WOW! The image is so beautiful. The FOV is amazing in that it is almost the same as my 8X30 Swaros. In a 10X format. That's just astonishing. The view is an upgrade from the SLCs which were already very nice. The close focus is MUCH better. When doing the FOV comparison I focused on a tree in my front yard and then went to the SLCs and huh, not in focus. The tree isn't even that close to where I was standing. The SLCs just don't have very close focus. Downside of the SFs is the beaning. Pronounced and VERY sensitive to IPD and eyecup position. I think I can get trained to avoid it but initial impression is that it is a

Interestingly, with my glasses on I need to adjust the eyecups out just slightly for the best view. Without glasses I can't see the entire image with the eyecups all the way extended. I've never experienced that before.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back