• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for new birding bins (1 Viewer)

Zedster

United States
I'm in the market for a new pair of birding binoculars. What I currently have is a pair of Swarovski SLC Mark II 8x30. These are very good binoculars that I have used for almost 30 years. I want something with better close focus and better clarity. I wear glasses so eye relief is important as well. They are on the heavy side for an 8x30 though. Also the FOV isn't nearly what the newer Opticrons have.

I also have a newer pair of Opticron Traveler ED 8x32 which are pretty great binoculars for what they cost (400ish USD). I love their close focus and light weight. I also like the brighter image. I really really don't care for the focus though. It is extremely difficult to get something nice and sharp in focus. Seems like there is constant fiddling with the wheel to get it right. Whereas the Swarovski just SNAP into focus.

So I am looking for recommendations. Budget is 1-2K USD. That said, I'm not entirely against getting a pair of NLs if they are truly worth the added $$. I realize that is an individual thing. So considering where I am coming from (the SLC II and Traveler) what would the group recommend. Is a Conquest a huge upgrade over what I have now? What about the MHG? Is there a lighter 8x42 that would be a slam dunk over my 8x3X bins?

Thanks in advance.

I've only briefly tried the 8x30 SLC IIs and it was a few years back. I liked the 8x32 Conquest for the price but wouldn't say they're an upgrade on what you've got. Worth considering a used pair of Swaro EL 8x32s - discontinued a couple of year's back but still one of the best 8x32's produced. There's a lot of love for the fairly new Zeiss SFL 8x40's - supposedly performance is close to Swaro ELs but I've not tried them.

The EL SV 8X32 has ample eye relief, and one of the reasons it is popular to those who wear glasses, as well as with those who do not.

Get the best you can afford, but be very aware of the law of diminishing returns.
You pay a hefty fee, for flat field, sharp to the very edge, wide FOV, and a few grams saving.
The optical gap from the £1000 to £2000 binos is probably less than you think. It's there.... but the gains aren't night and day.
I do not crave the flat field, sharp to the very edge view.... and have not been able to warrant the 'big jump'!!
My ultimate binos are Leica Ultravids, which are now considered a bit behind. But not to my eyes and my requirements!!
Just for fun I recently purchased some 18 year old Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN's which had just come back from Leica Service.
I always wanted those back in the day, and funds wouldn't allow back then..... anyway, they are still awesome today. Great view.
That being said, if you did go top tier..... you will still be using them 20 years from now(y)

Are they worth it? This is always a difficult question for me.

YES- if you have the extra money to buy them (Rg548 is a great post above).
but
the almost as good glass works for most of us and easier on the budget.

It depends more on personal preference and ones budget than quality of glass.

edj

If you’re comfortable with 30mm objectives then the new Swarovski CL Companions are worth considering too. They are an almost direct replacement of the SLC’s in the 30mm size, are compact and offer a great view… they should come in towards the lower end of your budget… otherwise I’d second the recommendation on the used EL’s…. They’re hard to beat.

I don't think the Conquest or MHG would be a huge upgrade over the SLC you have. The 8x32 is a good option if you can find a LNIB one for about $1500, but if I personally were going to spend that much anyway, and you don't have any problems affording an NL, I would get the NL 8x32. It has a considerably bigger FOV than the EL and I think you will prefer the ergonomics also. Definitely try one before you buy, but if you liked the SLC, the NL would be the logical upgrade. When you are in the store, try the SF 8x32 also because it might work better for you. Both are very nice binoculars! Here is a LNIB pair of Zeiss SF 8x32 binoculars, I think you could offer him $1500, and he would take it. The Zeiss SF 8x32 are going to be a little better than the EL 8x32 because of the bigger FOV.

I don't think the Conquest or MHG would be a huge upgrade over the SLC you have. The 8x32 is a good option if you can find a LNIB one for about $1500, but if I personally were going to spend that much anyway, and you don't have any problems affording an NL, I would get the NL 8x32. It has a considerably bigger FOV than the EL and I think you will prefer the ergonomics also. Definitely try one before you buy, but if you liked the SLC, the NL would be the logical upgrade. When you are in the store, try the SF 8x32 also because it might work better for you. Both are very nice binoculars! Here is a LNIB pair of Zeiss SF 8x32 binoculars, I think you could offer him $1500, and he would take it. The Zeiss SF 8x32 are going to be a little better than the EL 8x32 because of the bigger FOV.

I'll look at that. The big upgrades I see from the Conquest or MHG would be much better close focus, the updated prism coatings (the Mark IIs don't have Swarobright), and the reduced weight. My Swarovski are heavy for an 8x30. I can't help but look at the NL and see that they are of similar weight. I really like how lightweight my Opticron pair is in comparison.

So thank you all for the advice. I think my next decision is do I care about the extra 5oz of the NL over the MHG or do I care more about the better glass of the NL. That appears to be the tradeoff. I looked over the CL but the close focus of 9.8 feet isn't going to cut it for me. That's the biggest drawback of my SLCs. I basically stopped using them for most birding because too often I couldn't focus close enough. I know the CL isn't as bad as the SLC but still, that isn't even slightly competitive.

If I can find somewhere that has them all I'll definitely try the SF, NL, and MHG.

Now someone is going to add the Meopta to the mix, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Zeiss SF 8x32 unless close focus is a priority in which case Leica Trinovid HD with close focus of 1.0m. The Leica's fov is not as generous though being 124m vs 155m so its a close focus vs fov choice.

I have both of these and they are both stellar in their own way.

Lee

Zeiss SF 8x32 unless close focus is a priority in which case Leica Trinovid HD with close focus of 1.0m. The Leica's fov is not as generous though being 124m vs 155m so its a close focus vs fov choice.

Lee
These Zeiss SF 8x32 are still available. You will never get these at this price again. Offer him $1500.

Lee
From the specs it looks like the SF have a close focus of 2M which is much better than my SLC and I can live with that. Still struggling with the weight though

Zedster,

Take your time, do not rush - many on here have given you their choices. Do a bit of research as ergonomics of your face may not agree with some of the aforementioned choices, it is your money and your own eyes.
Of course. I appreciate the advice. Very sensible

These Zeiss SF 8x32 are still available. You will never get these at this price again. Offer him $1500.

I’ll look into this. Thanks

Apologies for chiming in so late Z. I owned the same binocular you do, which I enjoyed to the very last day I used it (link to my post in an old thread). I now own a Zeiss 8x32 FL, but there are lots of really good options in the 8x32/30 and even smaller 8x40/42 class. I recommend you try as many as you can, the more educated you are the happier you'll be with your final choice. For my part I have gravitated towards using the 8x42 FL for many of the situations I use 8x, but the 8x32 is still valuable when birding at closer range, in good conditions and where a smaller/lighter binocular is required, such as when travelling.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back