• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed - Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Mark Moore

England
Hello everyone, i need help in choosing some good binos. what I'm looking for are 8/10 x 40/42, what combination would you recommend? and I'm looking to spend upto £200. many thanks for your help.

Hello everyone, i need help in choosing some good binos. what I'm looking for are 8/10 x 40/42, what combination would you recommend? and I'm looking to spend upto £200. many thanks for your help.

Personally, I would go into a local RSPB or optics shop and go try them out for yourself. Binoculars vary so much and they generally go down to your own personal preference at the end of the day. I do find the RSPB own are very good, not sure what the price range is with them, again, Viking another good brand worth looking at.

Alex

I agree - bins are very personal things and you really ought to try before you buy. RSPB has some very nice bins under and around 200 pounds :)

I had a slightly smaller budget than you and tried the Viking Vistron 8x42s out at an RSPB reserve. I was pleased with the performance and bought them online from http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Sh...iking+Vistron+8x42+Binoculars_VIK-842VIST.htm (You will find that the RSPB are more expensive, but obviously this extra money goes to their charitable side and it depends on where your ethics lie)

They are a touch on the heavy side after having them around your neck for a couple of hours or more, but I find the image does me very well. The light they let in is good and for the money, I doubt you will do much better.

However, I note that you have a bit more cash available, so you may be able to get something better still, but just wanted to give you my experience as the bins market is HUGE!

I had a slightly smaller budget than you and tried the Viking Vistron 8x42s out at an RSPB reserve. I was pleased with the performance and bought them online from http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Sh...iking+Vistron+8x42+Binoculars_VIK-842VIST.htm (You will find that the RSPB are more expensive, but obviously this extra money goes to their charitable side and it depends on where your ethics lie)

They are a touch on the heavy side after having them around your neck for a couple of hours or more, but I find the image does me very well. The light they let in is good and for the money, I doubt you will do much better.

However, I note that you have a bit more cash available, so you may be able to get something better still, but just wanted to give you my experience as the bins market is HUGE!
thanks for that, bongofury, i'll take a look and you're right the bins market is huge, lots of good bins out there, which one to choose mmmmm

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back