• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help please (1 Viewer)

helenol

What settings should I use when taking photographs in such dull conditions?

This kite were perched +/- 150ft away. The problem is, when takings pics on days like today, the colours are so washed out, and it begins to take on a silhouette appearance, especially when one has only sky as background.

I've tried more playing around with the levels, and added a little more contrast, but to no avail.

Suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

ExposureTime : 1/650Sec
FNumber : F6.3
ExposureProgram : Program Creative (Sports mode)
ISOSpeedRatings : 200
ExifVersion : 0220
CompressedBitsPerPixel : 5/1 (bit/pixel)
ExposureBiasValue : EV0.3
MaxApertureValue : F3.7
MeteringMode : Division
LightSource : Unidentified
Flash : Not fired(Compulsory)
FocalLength : 63.00(mm)

Attachments

• kitetest.jpg
    kitetest.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 193
Helen, my experience is in general photography rather than birds, and film not digital, but for what it's worth I'd say the exposure for the kite isn't too far off.

I've always accepted that sometimes the lighting conditions are so much against you that it's next to impossible to get a punchy shot with anything like good colours, although you do your best in the circumstances. Maybe this was just one of those times, if that doesn't sound too defeatist.

Backlighting is always a problem and it's way too distant for fill in flash ;)

With such strong backlighting as this I'd have used more 'ev' compensation anything up to 1.3 or more in such conditions, though it isn't ideal as it can lead to low contrast in the subject and more marked chromatic aberration around the edges of the subject.

Shutter speed and and aperture aren't so important here, though possibly spot metering of the subject would give a better reading.

I'd always try for a record shot in such conditions and may be even after obtaining a shot like this then try to get into a better position with the subject against a tree trunk or other large object or preferably with the sun behind me even if I can't see it!

I can't think of anything else off hand that may help - though I'm willing to learn if anyone else has any ideas?

Thanks to you both.

L. Seven - yes I knew the light wasn't ideal, but it's sods law, the kites always perch on dull days! (Except for the day I took the pic in my avatar) Even more infuriating is the fact they hang around for half an hour or more when the light is low.

Ian - I had thought about the ev compensation. I've only ever tried it up to 1 though, never more than that. For some reason I've always thought the more ev comp, the more washed out the photo will appear to be. Not sure where I got that idea from.

What about the ISO in conditions like this?

I agree about the EV compensation, normally I use 0.3 up to 0.7 but in cases like this call for more extreme settings - taking shots at different settings to try for the best result.

Helen,

I'm reluctant to post my "fiddled with" version of your pic because my monitor isn't very clever and I'd have to guess how it'd look on brighter monitors.

But... it is possible to bring out all the detail very effectively simply by changing the Gamma settings (I did it in Irfanview just for speed).

I'd be happy enough with your pic as a starting point, because the detail is all there and a little tweaking will bring it out.

What the heck - I've attached one which will at least give an idea of what I mean.

Attachments

• kitetest.jpg
    kitetest.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 181
Exposure compensation

This is a recent picture in similar lighting, I used +0.7 exposure compensation. The picture is still rubbish but the exposure is about right? Dispite my best efforts IMO there is no substitute for a good sunny day, the sun behind you..............and so my wish list goes on

Attachments

• web pigeon.jpg
    web pigeon.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 139
Hele

Must pay you a visit sometime to have a go at photgraphing your kites.
Good pic, but as you say, pity about the lighting!.

What you could do is perhaps use the contrast controls in the camera to decrease the contrast at the time of exposure then you'll have a more manageable contrast range to work with afterwards. I've tried to simulate that a bit but, as has been noted, on some days you just can't get that super-shot when the light's not right!

Attachments

• kitetest 2.jpg
    kitetest 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 131
Thanks Keith. I don't mean to be rude, but the pic does look a little dodgy on my monitor. sorry! But, I'll have a go with the gamma settings as you suggested and see what I come up with.

JiminLondon - I know, as you say there is no substitute for good light. Still, I live in hope.

Adey - never tried that. thanks for the tip.

Back to my question - any thoughts on the ISO setting for days like this?

Thanks
Rgds

Hi Helen,

I always find that incresing the ISO adds graininess with the cameras that I use so I always have mine on the lowest setting whatever the conditions as recording the 'cleanest' image possible is for me paramount in bird photos.

With birds as stationary as this then increasing the ISO would give no benefit at all as it would soley enable a faster shutter speed without adding anything to the quality of the image.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back