• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with baby owl (1 Viewer)

I like to get straight to the cut. A relative of mine found a baby owl and brought it home and caged it, it looks small but it has all its feathers, how do i stop it from dying until it can take care of itself? I don't know what species it is but it is grey and brown. Thanks.

I’m not sure where you are located, but the best thing you can do is get it to a wildlife rehabilitator.

Hi and a warm welcome from me too.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. But Lisa is correct, the best thing you can do is to get in touch with a rehabber as quickly as possible. It's extremely difficult to raise such young birds and preparing them for life in the wild.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Good idea. I live in the balkans, so not sure there are many of those around.
You local vet might be able to advise you.

Is it possible to get it back to where it was found, the adults might still be around to care for him?

You local vet might be able to advise you.

Is it possible to get it back to where it was found, the adults might still be around to care for him?
I don't think so, there are tons of cats and dogs wandering around the area and i dont know where it was found, or how far it wondered. I'll take your advise and ask a local vet because rehab centers are weirdly hard to find, atleast on the internet.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Good luck with the baby Owl!

Scops Owls are primarily insectivorous, so if you can try to feed it beetles, larger moths etc until you can get it into care, that might be helpful. It actually looks quite well-grown.

Bugs are what it eats. If you can buy meal worms it may eat them? Otherwise moths, crickets, beatles…

It is close to full grown, so probably a very good chance you can feed it for 1-2 weeks and release it.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back