• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with ID-ing a Bird of Prey please! (2 Viewers)

Punkist86

United Kingdom
Hi everyone!
I was out on my walk today, in Pensford near Bristol & Bath.
I saw a bird and thought he must be either a red kite or buzzard because they're very common here, I got home and got out my RSPB book, but I cannot work out what it was!!
I am VERY very new to this, so please don't laugh at me if it is glaringly obvious 😅!!
The photo does have to be zoomed in to be able to see... please help!! Thanks

Attachments

• 20220807_105056.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 103
Hello,
welcome to birdforum!

I agree with you, its a Common Buzzard. One feature, that is well visible in your bird, is the pale U-shaped breast band, demarcated from the darker sides of the belly and a darker throat.
Thank you!! I was trying to compare it with the illustrations in my RSPB book, but the buzzard didn't seem to match properly, yet nor did any other of their images. Thanks for clarifying and the future buzzard spotting advice, appreciated 👍

Hi

I wouldn’t worry we were all new to this once and some of my IDs are still hilariously bad. Common buzzards vary a great deal in colour, with some very pale and some dark. My rule of thumb is if it’s obvious not something else it’s almost certainly a buzzard! Red kites have a very obvious wedge out of the tail, pic below. (That is in the UK - not sure about elsewhere!)

1659892815894.jpeg

Last edited:
Hopefully no-one will laugh at you for asking an ID question on here, especially a buzzard...as Julie said they are very variable in plumage, and the example you've posted is on the light side of normal for the UK population. Buzzards puzzle even experienced birders at times - at least you've posted an identifiable image :) !

Hopefully no-one will laugh at you for asking an ID question on here, especially a buzzard...as Julie said they are very variable in plumage, and the example you've posted is on the light side of normal for the UK population. Buzzards puzzle even experienced birders at times - at least you've posted an identifiable image :) !
Thank you!! 😊, much appreciated.
And - I really didn't know that buzzards' plumage varies in shades so much!
I think that is what threw me slightly, I could not see an image anywhere which matched the bird I saw, but thank you for the information, I will bear jt in mind when I go on my hikes and bird-spot!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back