• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with IDing some birds in Northern Virginia (1 Viewer)

Hi, I'd love some help identifying some birds I've seen over the past few days.
1. Hawk (2 photos): one hawk was chasing a smaller hawk around (the smaller hawk, in turn, was chasing a blue jay) in a wooded area. I lost track of them in all the leaves, but I think this is maybe the larger hawk (I couldn't get a photo of the other one). I was guessing red-shouldered because I've seen a couple red-shouldered around here before, but I was hoping someone could confirm.
2. House finches? (2 photos): These were next to a small pond. I just wanted confirmation because it didn't look like the male's head was as fully red as the house finches I've seen before -- it seemed like mainly a red spot just above the beak, but it's hard to tell if that was just the shadows and light. From another angle, it looked like the male also had a red patch on his rump. There were at least three of the gray-brown ones in the same tree -- I assume at least two of them were juveniles.
3. Spotted sandpiper? (2 photos): Couldn't get a clear look at this one, either -- it was some distance away and moving around a lot in plants at the edge of a pond.
4. Canada warbler?: This was in the wooded area -- I looked at it through binoculars, and it had a black necklace or bib, but it moved so quickly and kept being blocked by leaves, so I couldn't get a good look at much beyond that. I landed on Canada warbler because it's the only one I could find with that yellow belly and black bib, but Merlin says they're usually found in boggy areas (which this is not). I couldn't hear any calls from it. Of course, the one second it paused in a clear area, I swung the camera too fast and got this blurry mess.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_2571.jpg
    IMG_2571.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2574.jpg
    IMG_2574.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2604.jpg
    IMG_2604.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2607.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    984.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2613.jpg
    IMG_2613.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2614.jpg
    IMG_2614.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2647.jpg
    IMG_2647.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Thank you! There was definitely a female red-winged blackbird around -- that's what I thought it was at first, but when I looked at the photo and saw the white eye stripe, I went looking for a different bird. Thanks for the correction.

As for the final photo, I would suggest Canada Warbler. The uniform gray upperparts, solid yellow underparts, the hint of a necklace and a white eye ring all point in that direction.

1 & 2-Red-shouldered Hawk
3 & 4 Look to be House Finches
5 & 6 Red-winged Blackbirds
7 - No idea

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back