• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring gulls - Hated or loved? (4 Viewers)

When we were on holiday a couple of months ago, we went into the pedestrianised shopping centre in Dumfries. There were gulls everywhere, and I commented to my husband that I thought some of the townspeople probably disliiked them. A few minutes later, when I was admiring a particularly handsome bird, who was walking just near us, I felt some thing hit my back - yes, a big splat right down the back of my bodywarmer! :eek!:

Elizabeth Bigg said:
When we were on holiday a couple of months ago, we went into the pedestrianised shopping centre in Dumfries. There were gulls everywhere, and I commented to my husband that I thought some of the townspeople probably disliiked them. A few minutes later, when I was admiring a particularly handsome bird, who was walking just near us, I felt some thing hit my back - yes, a big splat right down the back of my bodywarmer! :eek!:

After being targeted by a LBBG at South Stack... :storm:

I've been splatted by pigeons in the past, but not gulls, despite having lived on the coast all my life.

To all those who have been "got" in this way, think of this: it is lucky that cows can't fly ;)

Faith said:
I've been splatted by pigeons in the past, but not gulls, despite having lived on the coast all my life.

To all those who have been "got" in this way, think of this: it is lucky that cows can't fly ;)

Elephants would be even worse!

I was told once that it is lucky - I reckon the only lucky ones are the Dry Cleaners. Actually, I just left it to dry completely, then it brushed off enough to make the body warmer quite acceptable to wear - though I did wash it when I was home again.

I noted the same thing
in Morocco for example Herring gull are not numerous but the Lesser Black-backed Gull Larus fuscus yes ..and more and more they colonize some coastal cities ..they don't breed there but people start to hate gulls because they leave dropping on the roof houses.
however I agree with everyone which appreciates ithese birds and it's of our own fault if their natural habitats are deteriorated and if they come to seek refuge with us.

As you have all seen from my posts, gulls are by far my favorite birds. In San Diego most people seem to hate gulls. At Sea World, nests are destroyed because the gulls are considered a major pests as they take food from people and the animals. This area was once a salt marsh however, a place where gulls lived. I agree with some of the other posters that we cannot blame the gulls for making our enviroment, theirs.

There is one downside to the Gulls.Our Tern colony has been vacated,so I have been informed today.There were lots of Terns sitting on eggs,and there were also some chicks last week.The Terns nest on the same site as the Black Headed Gulls.I have seen both the Terns and Lapwings furiously defending their chicks from the gulls.It does seem sad that the Terns come to their breeding place each year,only to have their broods decimated by the resident Gulls.
But I still like to see and hear the Gulls.They are just predators,I guess.

My take on it:

You go to the beach, and there are huge crowds, and other people's bad music blaring as if everyone wanted to listen to that crap, and children screaming, and large people in small bathing suits, and sea-doos tearing around in the swimming area and making the water stink, and wet dogs barking and messing on the beach, and garbage and cigarette butts everywhere, and what does everyone complain about? THE GULLS.

All the gulls ever did was clean up all that nasty refuse that accumulates wherever there are large numbers of people. And, sometimes, they'll crap on someone. And that's just funny.

I don't really concern myself with them. We get mostly Ring-Billed, and Laughing in the summer. But I remember that when I was little, I would go to the zoo and feed the ducks and the gulls would eat the duck food before the ducks could reach it!

jomo said:
My take on it:

You go to the beach, and there are huge crowds, and other people's bad music blaring as if everyone wanted to listen to that crap, and children screaming, and large people in small bathing suits, and sea-doos tearing around in the swimming area and making the water stink, and wet dogs barking and messing on the beach, and garbage and cigarette butts everywhere, and what does everyone complain about? THE GULLS.

All the gulls ever did was clean up all that nasty refuse that accumulates wherever there are large numbers of people. And, sometimes, they'll crap on someone. And that's just funny.
That would be my take on it too, on the odd occasion I find myself on the beach with the kids, watching the Gulls is the only thing that stops me being bored to death.

Mick

I'm a fan of anything that can survive in the habitats we allow them. It gives me hope that whatever we do to the world something somewhere will do well. This Includes gulls, pigeons, canada geese, the glorious ruddy duck, rats, mice etc etc etc.

Gulls are thick though. I saw a young herring gull once trying to swallow a whole flatfish. No matter how many times it tried it just kept trying. It only stopped when another gull took it away from it and flew of into the distance.

Another time I watched some shooting types shoot a young herring gull out of the air. A nearby herring gull was attracted by the falling bird which was itself shot which led to another bird flying over etc. Fortunately after about 6 birds the shooters got bored with their entertainment as by this time there were loads of gulls heading in their direction.

John o'Sullivan said:
Another time I watched some shooting types shoot a young herring gull out of the air. A nearby herring gull was attracted by the falling bird which was itself shot which led to another bird flying over etc. Fortunately after about 6 birds the shooters got bored with their entertainment as by this time there were loads of gulls heading in their direction.
That just makes me mad. People can be so screwed up sometimes. At my job, when nests of gulls are discovered before there are chicks in the nests, the eggs are destroyed. I know gulls are protected both by state and federal laws but does anyone know if this applies to private property like a theme park? Western Gulls are California's state marine bird and have been declining slowly but steadily over the last 20 years. In 1984 there were about 30,000 birds that bred on the Farallons off of San Francisco. Today its about 12,000, a decline of about 70% or so. There are only about 200 colonies in there entire range sure some like those at seaworld breed away from the main colonies but these account for a very small portion.

Anyone know where I can find out about the nest tampering and if it's legal? Sorry everyone, this just touches a nerve with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back