• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring gulls - Hated or loved? (1 Viewer)

Articuno said:
What are your views on herring gulls inhabiting the cities? Well personally I do not blame the birds for becoming urban because there are too many people littering and feeding the gulls when they should be fending for themselves. I like herring gulls a lot and I find it sad that where I live they are hated so much. There is a lot of cruelty to them and nobody seems to undersand that it is their own faults. So does anyone here find them a nuisance or do you like them just as much as any wild bird?
I see urban gulls as just another type of bird in what is now part of their natural habitat. It's not new. I can certainly remember often seeing gulls where I grew up in greater London. If they can make use of the food we discard perhaps we should be more careful in how we discard it.

I see urban gulls as just another type of bird in what is now part of their natural habitat. It's not new. I can certainly remember often seeing gulls where I grew up in greater London. If they can make use of the food we discard perhaps we should be more careful in how we discard it.
We don't have any trouble with aggressive gulls although I know parts of Gloucester do. Perhaps such areas need to take some measures to protect the human population against attacks.
Alan
[Sorry about the last post. The computer jumped before I had finished!]

Im not sure about love or hate, down here there are so many its more a case of ignore. You dont need to look for them, there everywhere, when we had chips on a friday at work, i used to get them feeding in mid air, they caught practically everyone thrown up, so their certainly not daft.

I love all Gulls. They are cool. I guess im a larophile now. lol. i havent seen the Herring yet, just Ring-billed, im pretty sure. that was a hilarious story, Gentoo. Sorta like Hitchcockian.... THE BIRDS!!!

I also can't wait for Gulls of the Americas coming out this summer( the first in the new Peterson Reference Guides, also planning a Woodpecker guide from what i know). You can see it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Refe...8675865?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173580170&sr=8-1

anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread. :D

Last edited:
I like herring gulls. In fact my wife, who is a non-birder but very sympathetic to the cause, lists them as her favourite gulls and the sound instantly reminds her of the coast.

A few years back, you couldn't go anywhere around the coast without seeing Herring Gulls. Then they disappeared. BirdWatch Ireland said that Herring Gulls suffered a decline of around 90% ?!!!!??! Persecution and botulism were cited as possible causes. They seem to be recovering, but I'm glad to see them again. Hope our House Sparrows come back, too.

I can't see how anyone can "hate" any wild creature that is after all simply following the dictates of nature. We can often regret or even hate the consequences of some aspects of the consequences of "nature" taking its course. To me though hating creatures such as herring gulls, feral pigeons, grey squirrels or mink makes no more sense than hating bacteria for causing desise. Especialy when mans corruption of natural environments and its ballances is often the root cause of the most unfortunate instances.

I find these views are often unacceptable to many people though, predominantly those with the least understanding of the complexities of the natural world. It’s refreshing to note that most contributors here, even while regretting some of the effects of "unnatural" populations, realise that the creatures concerned are less responsible than we are.

Sometimes it seems like watching animals teaches us more about ourselves than it does about them.

Last edited:
rozinante said:
I can't see how anyone can "hate" any wild creature that is after all simply following the dictates of nature.

If you had mice that were pooping on your kitchen work surfaces, you wouldn't be too enamoured by them. Though I find mice cute, I can't see any alternative to poison.

Leif said:
If you had mice that were pooping on your kitchen work surfaces, you wouldn't be too enamoured by them. Though I find mice cute, I can't see any alternative to poison.

I am sure you are right Leif, I have been there and worse and was not very pleased about it at all.

Control measures might be necessary or desirable in some situations. It's the blanket condemnation of species as vermin with terms like "tree rat" for squirrels or "flying rats" for gulls or pigeons that worry me. It's the old demonise the enemy tactic, once so labelled they become fair game for any treatment anyone chooses to dish out.

For a rational human being to allow their emotions to turn to hatred of a creature for the crime of following its pre-programed responces to a given situation seems not only irrational but counter productive to me. Add the fact that the given situation is likely to be of man's own making and the injustice is complete.

Hope you can persuade you mice to go elswhere Leif and that if you do feel it becomes neccissary to poison them, the bodies can't get picked up by anything else.

Love gulls ...admire their cheek and audacity...always think of them as small dogs with wings (no I havn't been drinking). Best memory of a gull was in cornwall, just about to take a bite from a sandwich at a very nice restaurant overlooking a harbour, when one of these little darlings scored a direct hit on my hand, at least it missed the sandwich though. My 2 boys at the time found it highly amusing.

Well, humans are practically invited the gulls into the city with all the plentiful food and shelter. Personally, I like gulls and dont mind them in the city at all. Same goes for grackles, starlings, house sparrows, and pigeons.

I'm really surprised that this topic is still going! Anyway, nothing has changed, people still abuse gulls and there are signs all over the place asking people not to feed them, yet litter is still a major problem and people who leave their rubbish around in black bags alone are making it easy for gulls to eat in cities. I recently went to London and while driving on the bus, almost every house we passed had a black bag or two just dumped outside their front gardens.
I've seen gulls rip them open! It's quite funny really..

Love gulls ...admire their cheek and audacity...always think of them as small dogs with wings
Agreed, how many birds have the guts to fight, steal and argue with a human? And imagine having a pet gull. Wouldn't you love to set them on those damn chavs and yobs?

Though I find mice cute, I can't see any alternative to poison.

Recently had mice popping up in the garden shed and the garage. I thought there were only 2 or 3 - so I bought one of those multi catch traps from a DIY store. In 24 hours I caught 13 - released them all alive and well in some fields about half a mile away. They seemed to be very attracted to the bait - mini weetabix with nuts & honey etc

We also get a lot of rats in the garden from nearby fields. I refuse to use poison so I borrow an air rifle from a friend and hide behind the rabbit run. It is a lot more effective than poison.

In response to Gentoo question about egg destruction. Sea World probably obtained a state permit to remove the eggs before they proceeded with the egg removal. As for private businesses, it is illegal to tamper with nest once there is a sign of an egg or fledgling, hence the current court case in San Pedro.
There is a proper way to request aid if you need to remove a nest. Please contact Fish and Game or an appropriate wildilfe rehabiliation center for advice on how to proceed. If you would like to here more Gentoo, you can contact me at my email address.

In response to the original thread, I know it is hard to reframe from feeding waterfowl or gulls, but as you can see they become a nuisance and are dealt with accordingly. If you truly want to keep these guys around, spread the word STOP FEEDING THEM! People will have a much better relationship with these species if you could just curb your behavior, and tell a friend. The birds will go back to their original feeding behavior, and they will stop pestering people in cities. It can be done, it was done in mine, and it worked. The ducks are no longer attacked, the gulls went back to the fields to find mice, and the gulls stopped scaring the children. The additional benefit was the Canada Geese and wild ducks just use the pond now to rest before they head off to the nearby wetlands.

Its not a herring gull but theres hilarious footage of a lbb gull on the birdwatching in scotland dvd (by bird images) of a lbb gull flushing a hen harrier off its prey (a rabbit) and swallowing it down whole. It left the back legs sticking out of its mouth like horns! There is also footage of a gbb gull stealing a sanderling off of an artic skua.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back