• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from Sussex ! (1 Viewer)

Jensen

England
Has anyone else noticed a major change in the habits of Jays ?
Normally ultra shy and wary, now becoming far more bold because they are hungry and suffering due to the decline of the small bird population ?

Hi Jensen and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Jays have always been ultra shy round here, in fact for the first time in 20 year I've manage to get pictures of them this last month!!! I've been sneaky LOL.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I’ve not noticed any difference in the habits of the jays which frequent our garden.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Can’t help with the question, as I live on the other side of the pond.

Thank you all for the welcomes !
I am fortunate to live on the edge of mixed woodland , my visitors over the years have included mainly larger birds, pidgeons ,crows and jackdaws etc .Smaller song birds are sadly not so prolific but not totally absent. So back to Jays, historically only seen fleetingly and NEVER feeding on my table which provides grain and seeds for smaller birds. This has now changed, Jays now regularly compete quite aggressively for anything available including seeds. I thought they were mainly carnivorous ? Has this resulted from the decline of their usual prey ? It would be interesting to learn if others have noticed this.

Last edited:
Jays are famous for collecting and storing acorns; a major winter food source and just a big seed. They will carry between 5 and 10 acorns in throat pouch and beak (depending on the size of acorns). Indeed any Oak seedlng sprouting many metres from the nearest Oak is likely to be the result of Jay food-storing. A few years ago there was a major failure of the acorn crop in parts of Europe which resulted in thousands of Jays irrupting to the UK in search of food. A shortage of acorns is much more likely to result in hungry Jays in winter than a dearth of small birds. In urban situations or nature reserves, where not persecuted, they can become habituated to people and appear much "tamer" and approachable than usual. It is normal for them to use bird feeders in gardens. Finally; they are omnivores and are just as likely to take the eggs of pigeons and any other larger bird, if they get the chance and will feed on insects, spiders, small reptiles etc as well as seeds and fruits of other trees and smaller plants and will take carrion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back