• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High and Over with NL Pure (1 Viewer)

Thanks. I'm certainly not doing myself any favours by using an iPhone.

When I allocated resources for my new hobby, my priority was optics - seeing unique things in the moment - so cameras didn't really enter the equation. Increasingly, however, I'm becoming someone who likes sharing what I see with friends and family, so maybe I need to expand my kit... oh dear :rolleyes: more money needed.

I tested the SFs, Noctivids and NLs prior to purchase last year, but I don't think my eyes were sufficiently attuned to recognise CA at the time. I know that for some people, it takes a while for vision to adjust, acclimatise, and understand what a new bino is really offering. I'm glad to hear that the NLs have a good reputation, and they my own experience so far seems to be reliable in this regard.

Some people seem more sensitive (or possibly just more annoyed by it) to CA than others too...

Those images in your photo remind me very much of a passage in Chapman's book "The Hobby":

"...And living in that foreign land the sound of the quail brought back a day in Sussex when I waited for the Hobbys to return in May. High on a hill I looked to seaward, where sailing boats speckled the tideways of the harbour like confetti drifting out to sea. Nearby was a green yew forest and open grassy glades stretching into the plain. All at once here they were, gliding along the top of the trees, sliding into them at speed, and the impression was that their blade wings were slitting open the soft cushions of the canopy as they went."

-----------------------------------------

For what it's worth, I found the headrest gave a small but noticeable improvement in steadiness even with the 8x42 NL, and the higher up you went in magnification the more helpful it was. Now the NL is a pretty steady binocular anyway, and for certain types of birding ie. where birds are located by the unaided eye and the binoculars are then used to get a better view of the bird, the headrest may not be necessary. But if one is going to be scanning with them for long periods every improvement in stability is worthwhile, easing fatigue and making difficult and distant targets easier. If I were to purchase the 12x42 I would definitely (albeit through gritted teeth as I agree that this particular item does not give the impression of quality that one associates with Swarovski) acquire one. I'm genuinely surprised why other manufacturers have not produced something similar.

Those images in your photo remind me very much of a passage in Chapman's book "The Hobby":

"...And living in that foreign land the sound of the quail brought back a day in Sussex when I waited for the Hobbys to return in May. High on a hill I looked to seaward, where sailing boats speckled the tideways of the harbour like confetti drifting out to sea. Nearby was a green yew forest and open grassy glades stretching into the plain. All at once here they were, gliding along the top of the trees, sliding into them at speed, and the impression was that their blade wings were slitting open the soft cushions of the canopy as they went."

-----------------------------------------

For what it's worth, I found the headrest gave a small but noticeable improvement in steadiness even with the 8x42 NL, and the higher up you went in magnification the more helpful it was. Now the NL is a pretty steady binocular anyway, and for certain types of birding ie. where birds are located by the unaided eye and the binoculars are then used to get a better view of the bird, the headrest may not be necessary. But if one is going to be scanning with them for long periods every improvement in stability is worthwhile, easing fatigue and making difficult and distant targets easier. If I were to purchase the 12x42 I would definitely (albeit through gritted teeth as I agree that this particular item does not give the impression of quality that one associates with Swarovski) acquire one. I'm genuinely surprised why other manufacturers have not produced something similar.
That's a lovely passage, thanks!

I spoke with my dad about this place, and told me that he was standing on this hill, sometime in the 1970s, when a jet fighter plane flew up the valley at a lower altitude than the viewpoint. Not quite as poetic, but that must have been quite a sight, too.

I found the most lovely viewpoint today, and it proved a great opportunity to try some long distance birding with the NL Pure 12x42s that I seem to be in the habit of taking everywhere with me these days.

There's a hill just to the north of Seaford in Sussex with the somewhat prosaic (but pretty accurate) name 'High and Over', providing wonderful views of the valleys and hills around Cuckmere Haven. The 12x is the perfect tool for this kind of job, I think, and seems ideally suited to enhancing panoramic views, in addition to being a very efficient high power close range birding bino. There were plenty of lagoon-like pools and flooded fields in view after the recent rains, which attracted dozens of big water birds. Earlier in the afternoon I was down by the coast, getting a closer look at the egrets, herons, geese, swans etc. from the riverbank, but there was plenty to see on High and Over. Whenever I wanted to look a bit closer at something, I had my trusty Vortex Razor.

View attachment 1488861

The images below were taken (1) through the NLs and (2) through the Razor, and you can see how the FOV on the NLs is so wide that it makes cropping on the iPhone almost unnecessary! The dark patches around the lower edges are due to my poor phone holding skills. I tried to get the image as focussed as possible, but it might be a little off. Without the camera, at least, the image is crystal clear, very sharp and as bright as anyone could want. Perhaps there is a little of that two-dimensional 'flattened' quality some people have been noting recently, but I can't say that it bothered me today. The infamous glare issue doesn't seem to worry me either, but I'm still exploring their capabilities, so, who knows how I'll feel later? When testing other binos, I'm usually turned-off by narrow FOV, muddy edge clarity and dark images, so the NL glass ticks all the major boxes for me.

At 27x the Razor is very bright and crisp, too. When zoomed in to 60x the Razor provides a wonderfully wide image, rivalling the NLs in subjective size, although today I was noticing quite a bit of brightness falloff at higher magnification; moving from 27x to 60x and back again, it was a bit like a cloud had passed over the sky. If image 3 loads correctly as a video, it should show a super-zoomed image of some geese taken through the Razor, boosted by the iPhone camera zoom. Looking at this again, the video seems brighter than the view provided through the scope itself, surprisingly. CA never bothered me much until I started using higher quality glass, and now I see it here and there in the Razor. I think its most apparent in the green and purple tints around the white plumage of birds. But it is not too bad. The NLs show far less CA, if any, to my eyes.

1. NL (12x)
View attachment 1488862

2. Razor (27x)
View attachment 1488860

3. Razor (something over 60x, maybe 150x; not sure)
View attachment 1488873

High and Over is a beautiful place, and if anyone is planning a trip to Sussex, and the weather is nice, I'd suggest that they make a little detour to enjoy the view. Bring a 12x or above to get the most out of it!

View attachment 1488863

Thanks for reading! This post will basically help me remember a lovely day :)

Great looking view!

Get an outdoorsmans stud and mount them on a tripod. Way better than that janky forhead rest.

I checked out some NL12's this weekend at a store. I was amazed at the FOV and offhand image quality for a 12x bino. They're my next purchase to compliment my EL8.5's.

As on other threads, I personally found the forehead rest did nothing particularly noticeable for image stabilisation. Additionally, I often wear peaked and / or woolly hats depending on conditions and this preference is very much incompatible with the concept of the Swaro forehead rest.

Working with hats, I agree that pinching the peak of a peaked cap can help with some optics (depending on ergonomics etc).

Also, and this may be one for NL x42 owners to try, I find that when wearing a fairly thick woolly hat I can (if the mood takes) fairly readily 'trap' the index finger of my non-focussing hand between the NL's bridge and my hat-cushioned forehead. I fully accept that such caperings are a very individual thing but I find this trick works better than the Swaro rest, is about £100 cheaper (depending on your taste in hats), keeps your head warm, and allows you to store your NL in something other than an aircraft hanger.

I bought the NL 12’s a lot sooner than I expected and they were delivered yesterday morning and I spent 4-5hr yesterday glassing the mountains with them and my EL 8.5’s.

I can’t believe these things are 12x binos. The FOV and offhand image is nothing short of amazing. I still can’t wait for the outdoorsman stud and tripod adaptor to arrive though so that I can mount it on my RRS tripod and see it’s full potential.

Attachments

• A53128D6-5E62-415C-A9C8-0FB94022EFAA.jpeg
    A53128D6-5E62-415C-A9C8-0FB94022EFAA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
I bought the NL 12’s a lot sooner than I expected and they were delivered yesterday morning and I spent 4-5hr yesterday glassing the mountains with them and my EL 8.5’s.

I can’t believe these things are 12x binos. The FOV and offhand image is nothing short of amazing. I still can’t wait for the outdoorsman stud and tripod adaptor to arrive though so that I can mount it on my RRS tripod and see it’s full potential.

congrats on the excellent choice.
I do continue to state that the FRP is a very functional device for both NL832 and NL12, I do recognize that is my personal preference, and that most folks do not.

Congratulations!

In my subjective opinion, these are just the best binoculars out there. Absolutely my number 1 choice for an 'all-around' bino which serves well in almost any situation. Wide enough AFOV for comfortable sea viewing, immersive birding, and bright enough for forest and twilight use. They seem especially good for mountain scenery viewing; I'll bet that western hunters love them.

I've not used them on a tripod yet because they're wonderfully steady for a 12x anyway. But let us know what you think!

Since they're new for you, here's a tip: I'd suggest you keep an eye on the rubber ocular and objective lens covers. They're rather tight, and seem to get tighter over time. They might benefit from some rubber treatment, linseed oil etc. I didn't do it myself, and have noticed them getting pretty difficult to take on and off.

Congratulations!

In my subjective opinion, these are just the best binoculars out there. Absolutely my number 1 choice for an 'all-around' bino which serves well in almost any situation. Wide enough AFOV for comfortable sea viewing, immersive birding, and bright enough for forest and twilight use. They seem especially good for mountain scenery viewing; I'll bet that western hunters love them.

I've not used them on a tripod yet because they're wonderfully steady for a 12x anyway. But let us know what you think!

Since they're new for you, here's a tip: I'd suggest you keep an eye on the rubber ocular and objective lens covers. They're rather tight, and seem to get tighter over time. They might benefit from some rubber treatment, linseed oil etc. I didn't do it myself, and have noticed them getting pretty difficult to take on and off.

I'm actually having the opposite issues, my occular covers are super loose. If I'm wearing them on my chest they won't stay closed. The ones from my EL's fit them nice and snug though. I'm thinking about ordering another set of those to use on them.

That is usual. Perhaps your covers will end up the right size, like mine were when they were new! (It wouldn’t surprise me if I was just imagining things, though.)

I ordered some spare parts from Swaro a few weeks ago, and they arrived free of charge and very quickly. If I remember correctly from other forum threads, Swaro US have been having some problems and delays recently.

Will K:

I decided on the 12x42NL after mistakingly trying one - thinking I got the 10x42NL in hand.
I was amazed by the handholdability (thinking it was 10x) and then realising it was a 12x sealed the deal for me.

My Meopta 12x50HD was practically perfect on a monopod and optically as good as they get. For hand held use it was cumbersome and I could not steady it for anything but shorter stints. For plane spotting and BIF I still miss the Meopta though!

The Pure 12x42NL is very different from the Meopta but the sum of all parts makes it a superb and very useful bino - for me it replaces any 10x bino with ease at no substantial penalty which in itself is amazing.

As for the head rest - I was on the fence about getting it.
The very nice vendor actually decided to include it for free (!) so there was nothing to hesitate about.

I can say that I would not want to be without the head rest. At first I thought it a bit quirky but after getting it set up properly it has definitely extended the time I can hand hold the 12x42 to a point I rarely bring the monopod anymore. And I have a very good Manfrotto carbon fibre monopod and a quick release adapter for he bino.

Sure, I can hand hold it better than I can many other 10x binos without the head rest and I doubt I would consider the head rest for the Pure NL 10x and definitely not for the NL 8x but with the 12x it has a more than one advantage.

Not only can I do long sessions hand held and bring the 12x instead of a lower magnification bino but also when I do take out the Swaro BTX on tripod I can still bring the 12x as a spotter at little to no weight penalty and with very little limitations.

For the 12x at least, I think the head rest does help my arms relax and it does prolong the comfortable viewing time.

I wish there had been a similar solution for the Meopta 12x50HD available - it would have saved me a pretty penny. The 12x42 probably does not sell nearly as well as the 10x42 which is a pity - I think it is the most capable of the Pure NL offerings and it is a stand out bino in a very small segment.

As for the head rest - I was on the fence about getting it.
The very nice vendor actually decided to include it for free (!) so there was nothing to hesitate about.
Wow, that's fantastic - what a great vendor!

Very glad that we agree about the superiority of the 12x, for our tastes. My previous bino was also a 12x50 (Vortex Crossfire). The 50mm objectives were a bit of a sign that I wanted something more, optically speaking, I think.

I hope you have great experiences with the NL 12x42!

Wow, that's fantastic - what a great vendor!

Very glad that we agree about the superiority of the 12x, for our tastes. My previous bino was also a 12x50 (Vortex Crossfire). The 50mm objectives were a bit of a sign that I wanted something more, optically speaking, I think.

I hope you have great experiences with the NL 12x42!
Since i didn't mention in the other thread.
I even tried a 12x i forgot about, the diamondback 12x50 after i was so happy with the 832 of it....

I wear no glasses and to my surprise, there was NO! setting for me which worked for me on this glass, didn't understand, but i couldn't use it.

Looking at a photograph taken through an optic (using a smartphone) by looking at it on the screen of a smartphone or a computer monitor, may not always be the best way to evaluate the said optic.

Looking at a photograph taken through an optic (using a smartphone) by looking at it on the screen of a smartphone or a computer monitor, may not always be the best way to evaluate the said optic.
Yeah, absolutely. Discussion and secondary data will only ever go so far, and should always be combined with individual experiences. But they’re always interesting, and can be useful for evaluating certain things. They give a general impression which can be followed up with extra info, if needed.

Might as well pin this pic too.

Its a pretty nice picture of one of the egrets taken by the river (iPhone through Razor), but the purple CA is pretty apparent down the bird's back. Anyone else notice it, or am I seeing things?

I never noticed this kind of thing before I got an alpha :rolleyes:

View attachment 1488875
I didn't notice it till I looked at your comment on it; now I can see it but it doesn't bother me at all, at least at typical viewing sizes.

I bought the headrest and while it works it's quality is certainly nowhere near £100 plus, I also feel the design could have been better allowing for more adjustment and finer positions. It would have been nice if these were included with the binoculars.
Having said that if you wear a cap then the old method of stabilizing the binoculars with the peak works as well or better for some.
I agree, the headrest can’t cost that much to produce and should be included with the binoculars like the case is.

I agree, the headrest can’t cost that much to produce and should be included with the binoculars like the case is.

I bought the headrest and while it works it's quality is certainly nowhere near £100 plus, I also feel the design could have been better allowing for more adjustment and finer positions. It would have been nice if these were included with the binoculars.
I could easily imagine the marketing department's discussion: ' Do we give them with the binoculars, or do we sell them separately ? '... And laughing like a drain: ' Of course we sell the gadget separately !! we're going to make a bunch of money with that too !! '
I didn't like it at all when I bought these NL's... I made, and with pleasure, a financial effort for this, and asking me for such extra money to have this little supplement is really unpleasant, and makes, at least for me, like a 'stain' on the brand, and I've been a Swarovski customer for like 30 years.
It's pure mercantile attitude, for me, driven by the sole lure of gain and profit, here way too greedy from the brand !! Just like Orcs selling their junk !!!
Taking their customers only for cash cows !! It really disappointed me, to the point that I even tell myself that they must be exaggerating the price of their binoculars quite a bit too... (even if the quality is undeniable, that's not the point !).

Orc trade.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back