• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Historical Review of Swift 804 Audubon Binoculars (8 Viewers)

yes, 1970. And as such it is the first edition of type 3, a model made for the European market. Later European editions came with blue or gold ribbons. In our survey it's named type 3c, but for chronological reasons it should have been type 3a. Type 3's were made until Hiyoshi completely redesigned Swifts models in 1985.
Renze
1970 wow what a great binocular given that its older than me

many thanks

Just thought I'd mention there's a SWIFT AUDUBON 804 HR/5 FMC 8.5X44 BINOCULAR on eBay (auction 403749467582) that looks to be in excellent condition at a very good price. They are getting hard to find nowadays.

Ed

I think I have a Type 4c 804ED “HR/5” Audubon Mark II, Serial Number 93783* it has the distinctive red bands.
Given to me by my grandfather when I was a kid but I don’t remember using it much. Only recently have binoculars become more of an interest to me so I dug it out of the cabinet. Some googling lead me to this thread and I’m pleasantly surprised discover the little gem I have. However, there is a small crack somewhere in the right side and I’m not sure if the coating is worn away or something got inside the binocular but there’s some “smudges” on the left side. Despite these flaws, when viewing thru it the colors are fantastic and sharp! I’d like to get a cap for the left eye piece. The rubber is also a bit cracked on that side.

If anyone can tell me more it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2B466F84-B9FC-4173-A38E-60A7DEA87DAB.jpeg
    2B466F84-B9FC-4173-A38E-60A7DEA87DAB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 1FF7AFF6-3B05-4B57-A090-AA401C6ACBFE.jpeg
    1FF7AFF6-3B05-4B57-A090-AA401C6ACBFE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 0AC401A2-6312-4CC6-BB0B-526AECEC0001.jpeg
    0AC401A2-6312-4CC6-BB0B-526AECEC0001.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
I think I have a Type 4c 804ED “HR/5” Audubon Mark II, Serial Number 93783* it has the distinctive red bands.
Given to me by my grandfather when I was a kid but I don’t remember using it much. Only recently have binoculars become more of an interest to me so I dug it out of the cabinet. Some googling lead me to this thread and I’m pleasantly surprised discover the little gem I have. However, there is a small crack somewhere in the right side and I’m not sure if the coating is worn away or something got inside the binocular but there’s some “smudges” on the left side. Despite these flaws, when viewing thru it the colors are fantastic and sharp! I’d like to get a cap for the left eye piece. The rubber is also a bit cracked on that side.

Hi,

This binocular is well worth checking for imperfections and repair. Contact Nicolas Crista at NRC Optics, he really knows his stuff.

Renze

These are rare in the UK I have only seen 1 pair. They are also very good. There is no mark ll on them here though just the red badge.
A top uk dealer told me when these first came out that "ED glass did not work on binoculars" I t may have been his fault that not many seemed to get sold I wish I could remember which it was.

Last edited:
Three kinds of collimation for the 804.
1) Traditional prism-tilt, straight through.
2) Traditional prism-tilt, angled.
3) More traditional, eccentric ring adjustment.

In photo 3, I see that there are several hash marks on two different rings, they seem to be factory, except for one that seems to be scratched in.
Did the factory mark them to show a tolerance range for collimation?

www.birdforum.net/attachments/cn-1-of-3-copy-jpg.1441951

In photo 3, I see that there are several hash marks on two different rings, they seem to be factory, except for one that seems to be scratched in.
Did the factory mark them to show a tolerance range for collimation?

www.birdforum.net/attachments/cn-1-of-3-copy-jpg.1441951

Hi, Charlie,

No. No, scratch marks on the inner and outer eccentric ring is to show how the lens was positioned when the factory put it together. That means it will be almost perfectly corrected when put pair together that way.

On better binoculars, scribing the eccentric rings — at least on eccentric ring models — assures you of putting it back together properly. At least if you don’t switch sides with the lenses.

Have a great day… Whether you need it or not…!

Bill

I just finished phase I of my restoration project of a pair of HR/5 ,SN 95****.These Glasses ,which were purchased on a local second hand marketplace,arrived super dirty,inside and out ,and severely miscollimated,but in good mechanical order and perfect state otherways ..glass and coatings are ok,and the eyepieces were super clean and intact..So pretty good for the price I paid (40 euros or so) .I thought it would be a great project ,and are giving me a good amount and fun and satisfaction.I used to own the 820 ,both ED and standard versions.This 804 is a fenomenal glass.Very Sharp ,and I would say that shows less CA than my standard 820,but feels not as bright to me.They are not even as bright as my Kenko Ultraview 8x32!!!The eyepieces showed a yellowish,very warm tint ,when i first got them..I took apart the eyepieces and place them in the sun ,thinking on the old takumar trick to clear yellowish lenses with UV exposure..I dont know if this worked,or not,I am not sure but to my eyes the view is more neutral now,and a bit brighter,also because i cleaned the objective and prisms ,that were quite dusty and had some humidity condensation residue.Now they look pretty clean and the view is clear. Still not as good contrast as the Kenkos, but not lacking when used in good light anyway. What is amazing is the detail and resolution.I forgot their might after all these years,and what a surprise!!!!Collimation is not 100% yet,but is acceptable now,and will get better when i have a lil more time.I did set the prism crates in place after cleaning them and tried to fit all the springs with similar tension.They were off,but the collimation screws did the job ,and with a lil bit of method i got the images to converge in both axes,allowing me to focus properly with no apparent eye strain,although looking at the stars i noticed that it needs a bit of adjustment still..The only surfaces i didnt touch is between the prism joint,were u can see a lil bit of dust,but for now i dont wanna remove the prisms from the clamps.I didnt take apart the objectives either,although there is a tad of residue can be seen between the two elements.As i said is an old unit ,well used and all i wanted was to leave them in working condition,because i am actually going to use these!! So im very happy.They are marked as Multi Coated,but they seem to be 1995 based in their SN ,that would make them fully multi(?)..Eyepieces are quite intense green/purple..Objectives not quite ..I wonder if they mixed eyepieces , objectives and other parts of different production runs,would not be surprised .
Again ,very happy to join the club,and what a remarkable binocular!!!

Last edited:
The Takumar lenses contained thorium glass, which became coloured over time.

UV can reverse this, but can also affect cement or balsam.

I have not found any binocular that contains thorium glass, although elbow telescopes with old Kodak eyepieces may contain thorium glass.

Regards,
B.

Hi,

This binocular is well worth checking for imperfections and repair. Contact Nicolas Crista at NRC Optics, he really knows his stuff.

Renze
Does Crista still service binoculars? Maybe I’m thinking of someone else, the guy I’m thinking about would be in his late 80’s, can’t remember his name but it was something similar.

From my research for my collection these are the last of the 804 models. Yours is the 804/HR5 FMC ED model and some say the best, see photo. In good condition these are phenomenal binoculars and imo are about as good as any Porros available except for the Swarovski Habicht’s and a few vintage wide fields from Bushnell, Kowa and Fuji. To me these are on par with the infamous Nikon SE’s, just a different bird.

The last Audubon’s were the 820 FMC ED and these were the water proof rubber version with twist up eyecups, see photo.

Paul

Attachments

• 85ABB7DD-198E-46A7-85BA-4975AEA9B4F8.jpg
    85ABB7DD-198E-46A7-85BA-4975AEA9B4F8.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 61E4E425-5311-444D-BA2B-9F6BE039424F.jpg
    61E4E425-5311-444D-BA2B-9F6BE039424F.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DCD62798-CBBB-4FAC-BB8A-C4BADE8733F2.jpg
    DCD62798-CBBB-4FAC-BB8A-C4BADE8733F2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 36
Yes ,I know some of the Old takumars have lenses that contain Thorium. Usually a few days on a window would do the trick ,and the ones i had didnt have any secondary effects from this practice.. I donno.. I thought that maybe the eyepieces would benefit of this exposure to UV light..It didnt harm them in any way,and i could swear the image is now less warm..Maybe other "rare earth" glass elements are affected in similar ways to the yellowing effect of time .Swift marketed the" Rare earth lenses" in one of their models from same vintage..The Swift Plover i think it was..
The Takumar lenses contained thorium glass, which became coloured over time.

UV can reverse this, but can also affect cement or balsam.

I have not found any binocular that contains thorium glass, although elbow telescopes with old Kodak eyepieces may contain thorium glass.

Regards,
B.

Hi,

Renze
I've had Nicholas do several repairs for me over the years. I contacted him just two weeks ago, and he informed me he is no longer taking more business.

Re .the gold stripe Audubon 8.5x44 on eBay, from the original owner they were a Xmas gift in 1981, date written leather case , so it suggest your modelproduction dates 1983 /4 is out by 2years ? Regards Ian
Its rather a big leap to suggest that this biro entry means the serial numberrs are 2 years out because before someone gave it as present it might have sat in storage 2 years being sold or anything..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back