• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hmmmm Linnet, central Scotland (1 Viewer)

clydeboy

When I saw this guy, I'll be honest, I hadn't a clue, but I did know I hadn't seen it before.
When I got home and got the books out it appeared to be more like a redpoll, but I had seen redpolls up close and I knew it wasn't.
I decided then that it must be a linnet, although the books say "slightly smaller than a house sparrow" and It wasn't and there is no mention of any black bibs, and this is throwing me.
I had seen a redpoll with a dark chin but never a bib like this.
The light was fading when I took these and I have lightened them quite a bit.
Anyone care to throw some "more" light on this guy.

cheers
Ian

Attachments

• june-july 2010 (118).jpg
    june-july 2010 (118).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 98
  • june-july 2010 (115).jpg
    june-july 2010 (115).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 72
  • june-july 2010 (116).jpg
    june-july 2010 (116).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 80
  • june-july 2010 (117).jpg
    june-july 2010 (117).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 71
Thanks folks
A linnet it is then, just goes to show you that a little breeze blowing over the chest can confuse the issue, well in my case anyway.
No doubt if I had seen a Linnet before I would have known right away.

cheers :t:

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back