• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll, linnet or rosefinch (1 Viewer)

curlewsandpiper1980

Location: NE Scotland, home garden in the countryside, tall birch trees
Date: 30 July 2020

I was watching a few birds feeding at the top of our tall birch trees, for birch seeds I think. First I saw a finch with bright yellow and black in the head, and a duller body (probably siskin or a greenfinch), then a probable chaffinch, and then a colorful finch joined, which I haven't seen before: it has some bright deep red in the throat and a tiny patch on the top of the head. The underside/ belly seemed bright white, and the rest of the bird seemed of a darker color but with a white streak on the back, just like a Chaffinch would have. Clear finch bill and feeding on the birch seeds.

Trouble is my 3 ID options are birds I never saw before:
1) Linnet. I do not think it was a linnet. As the red was brighter, and linnets are supposedly farmland birds. And also they look paler.
2) Redpolls. Seems to match well what I saw. The question is then which species of redpoll it was? The red on the upper belly was quite bright.
3) Rosefinch. At first it was one of my suspicious, but upon googling their images, they seem to have more continuous red than what I saw.

Behaviour - feeding on birch seeds - is a Redpoll favourite. Not uncommon to get odd redpolls where the red is replaced by yellow (this may just be a dietary deficiency, rather than genetic).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back