• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Finch Eye Issue (2 Viewers)

Travis771

United States
We have a male house finch that visits our feeders and he has an abnormally large growth from his right eye. I'm not sure if this is from an injury, avian pox, or House Finch eye disease?

We clean our feeders once a week but are worried for other birds that visit our feeders if this male has something contagious. I have attached pictures for review.

Attachments

• House Finch Eye #2.jpg
    House Finch Eye #2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • House Finch Eye #1.jpg
    House Finch Eye #1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • House Finch Eye #3.jpg
    House Finch Eye #3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • House Finch Eye #4.jpg
    House Finch Eye #4.jpg
  • House Finch Eye #5.jpg
    House Finch Eye #5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • House Finch Eye #6.jpg
    House Finch Eye #6.jpg
It looks like avian pox, but seems to have scabbed over? It is contagious, its suggested that you stop feeding for around two weeks for them to disperse. If anyone with more experience knows anything?

Welcome to Birdforum.

Maybe stop feeding and disinfect all your feeders.

Kits,

I just sent an email to Cornell Animal Health Diagnostic Center.

We clean our feeders every 5 to 6 days. This includes a 10 minute bleach and water soaking/wash - followed by a thorough rinse and dry. We also clean the ground around the feeders.

We live in a neighborhood that has numerous backyard bird feeders. I will try to get word out to the rest of my neighbors. When I hear from Cornell I will post the reply.

Travis

Hello, moving the feeders around also might help-to make sure the surrounding area is completely clean.

Hello, moving the feeders around also might help-to make sure the surrounding area is completely clean.
Maplekong,

I think we are going to move the feeders, clean them again and monitor. Here is the reply I received from Cornell:

Good morning Travis,

Thank you for sharing your observation. Excellent photos! Unfortunately, despite the picture quality, without the bird in hand for diagnostic testing, it is impossible to determine for certain what is causing the malady- my list of differentials would be exactly the same as yours, with finches being the poster child for both pox and mycoplasmal conjunctivitis (though the latter usually presents bilaterally, and more so as crusties and weepiness). They are indeed both contagious, so fingers crossed that it is an injury as opposed to a pathogen.

Regardless of what it is, the advice would be the same, and what you’re already doing! Continue keeping clean feeders, and remove them for the season or at least a few weeks if you start to see other animals affected. I don’t know how rehabilitation is handled in your state, but here, catching the bird and presenting it to someone licensed is an option also, either for treatment or for humane euthanasia. He seems to be in pretty good condition otherwise, however, especially with supplemental feeding, so letting him be is certainly also a reasonable option as well.

Hope that helps, sorry I can’t offer a concrete diagnosis. Wishing the little one the best!

Cheers,

Melissa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back