• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House or Purple Finch female? (1 Viewer)

TGNWest

Supporter
United States
I'm starting out birdwatching, only a few weeks in, and I'm confused about how to determine, by sight, these species.

North America
United States
Northern Idaho
Bonner County

The females of these two species look a lot alikeBird on Waterfall.jpg

Hehe, lol I should know this but I know it is ether a female Cassins' Finch or a Pine Siskin

Here are some key features
:Female House Finch: Overall brown with some slightly darker streaks on underside, thick bill.
:Female Cassins' Finch: More of a white/offwhite background with clean dark brown streaks on undersides. Uppers sides are more heavily streaked.
:Male and Female Pine Siskin: Smaller and thinner than HOFI and CAFI, sharp pointed bill, wings and tail slightly yellow.

Also if you don't have a field guide you should get Sibley Guide to Birds (Or Sibley Birds West)

Last edited:
Thanks Micah 😊, I was debating weather to have a paper guide or not, but it might be helpful in situations like this.

Some of these species are easy to mark, some not so easy! I have other shots that may be the same, female, male, mature and immature can throw a wrench in as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back