• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how do you carry your gear on a bike? (1 Viewer)

seggs

Alrite!
hi thinking about buying a town bike for getting around my local spots,
ive pondered the thought long enough so i am on the verge of buying..
so any suggestions on this subject would be helpfull.
i generally move around with bins, canon dslr with 400mm lens.
and the odd times a tripod and scope...can all these items be safely attached to the bike?..and be reasonable easy to access?

Hey Steve
Must admit to not using a bike here...but did have fun on one round Bharatpur a couple of years ago. Kept my bins round my neck, put my camera and vid into a small snowboarding backpack I've got and strapped the 'scope and 'pod onto the rack on the back. It was all pretty easy to get to - although strapping the 'pod crossways caused a couple of mishaps when I jumped off the bike forgetting it was there thus nearly falling over! Rectified this by strapping it lengthways. Also maybe a stand would be useful for those times when you want to 'de-bike' but not use yr 'scope
Ads

Some time since I used a bike but I used to try to get as much as possible in the rucksack, padded with sweaters, foam, etc. The constant vibration off tarmac always worried me and put me off bike mounted packs. Also when you come off the backpack will probably land on something soft.

I tended to vary what I took with me quite a bit as I have preferred wide aperture prime lenses to zooms (nice that they still work with digital!) which meant that carefully tailored bags and packs got left behind for car based sorties (think of about 11 lenses, two bodies, battery packs, power winders and drives etc. - you get the picture). Its still amazing what you can fit into a standard rucksack (at least 30 litres), but admit I only used a lightweight scope.

It does mean that I was limited what I carried to both lightweight and compact which could be limiting or frustrating.

Perhaps gear is stronger now and bike suspension is softer but I remember how the bike used to shake bits apart or crack the supposedly unbreakable. Perhaps it depends on where you bike, an ancient flint surfaced track way once put 14 stitches in one of my knees so perhaps I am biased.

A move to Bedfordshire made life a bit easier than that, I must admit, but many of the best places I went too were either too far away (taking a car and a bike rack seemed a bit self defeating) or were in walkable range, to make it worthwhile, also some of the better sites had riverside paths that were collapsing into the water and having achieved one graceless dive into the Ouse (on foot! and it tastes foul) while watched by loads of people I played safe.

The beauty of an evening ride with a single pair of bins listening to the birdsong was magical - I did find that a camera got in the way then but then I have tend to watch birds and wildlife to learn a bit about them; and to photograph them for totally different reasons.

I sold my last bike when I moved to the beautiful (but steep) Wiltshire downs as I wish to live a bit longer, but still have great memories of the freedom a bike gave me.

Good (and pain free) cycling/birding to you.

J

I have been out today on my bike with 40D and 400mm lens + monopod. Put the camera and lens in my backpack. I saw a kestrel hovering but by the time I had stopped on got my camera out it was gone. I do sometimes ride with the camera and lens around my neck but it is a bit dangerous.
I find the bike great for covering fair distances but you do miss shots that you would have got if you were walking.

I do nearly all my birding on bike, I just keep bins round the neck and stick the scope and tripod in a backpack, I even bought a basket (don't laugh ;-)) to keep important things such as sketchbook and lunch in.

I do nearly all my birding on bike, I just keep bins round the neck and stick the scope and tripod in a backpack, I even bought a basket (don't laugh ;-)) to keep important things such as sketchbook and lunch in.
i know what you mean about the basket;) i was looking at them in halfords ..

thanks for all the replys..
i don,t want to carry a backpack ...unless i have too. as most of the sites i visit are between busy built up area.
so the hunt is still on for suitable panniers..

i know what you mean about the basket;) i was looking at them in halfords ..

thanks for all the replys..
i don,t want to carry a backpack ...unless i have too. as most of the sites i visit are between busy built up area.
so the hunt is still on for suitable panniers..
Be very careful if you carry a big lens in a pannier, I have read several post where people have damaged the lens through the vibrations.

I've been birding by bike for years, on tarmac roads and across rough farm tracks. I have always worn my bins around my neck in the traditional birding way, and have never damaged them at all due to the bike ride.

Personally, I would advise carrying as little as possible on the bike. I only take a pair of bins and a note book. Telescopes, tripods and cameras are an absolute pain, they weigh you down, get in the way, take ages to get out and set up, then put back again...... I just wouldn't bother. Be content with what you can see through your bins, and hear with your ears. What more could you want from birding? And your ride will be much more enjoyable :t:

Last edited:
I do a lot of cycling with and without birding kit. I wouldn't carry a big scope and tripod on a bike, I'd be too afraid of damaging them. I carry a lightweight travelscope and pod, and a pair of compact bins when bird-biking. The Kowa TS501/2 is very light, compact, fits in a cycling shirt pocket. The model with the fixed 20x eyepiece doesn't even need a pod. There's a deal on at WE (I think) selling it for 89 sterling, which is a great price. It doesn't have the greatest optics, but it's perfectly good for most trips. Any compact bins would do, Opticron Taigas are highly spoken of and cheap. A bike-basket is a great idea, you can get ones touring that don't look too girly nowadays, and I have a small one from Lidl that's padded, zippable, with map-pockets and the like. I think it was actually described as a "bike cooler", for drinks and the like. I'm sure it will come on sale at Lidl again as the summer approaches, but you could probably get similar at any shop that sells mountain or touring bikes. Happy Bike-Birding!

use a bit of carpet underlay or high-impact foam to protect your scope if your panniers bash about. Or a bungee rope taken around the pannier and hooked onto your frame so that it holds everything still, though of course both ideas will slow you down when unpacking it. Or, an Angled 62mm Swaro fits perfectly into a Carradice Super C saddlebag.

your tripod can be bungeed across the rear rack (folded down is probably best ;))

good panniers - if you can find some then the big square dutch ones are brilliant and you can get a months shopping in them too, but the only place i know where to buy them is in Cambridge. Failing that there are several makers - Ortlieb, Karrimor, Carradice to name a few - so its worth looking about. I believe you have both an Evans Cycles and an Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative store up your way, maybe try in one or both of them ?

good luck

thanks again to all..
pick the bike up from halfords on monday(ready built)..not bad i think at £89.offer on.
i also found a site selling "bike bins"..(not good with the pc so cannot enter a link sorry).
a plastic box which attaches like a pannier to the bike rack..maybe able to pad the inside out to take camera equipement?.i normally just keep the camera and lenses in a lowespro mini treker for transporting (and storage) whilst driving...no harm yet:t: thankfully.
so the vibration from car to bike i understand can be a lot greater...but not on the average road..path etc...only off road or path..uneven tracks?
its nearly 20 years since i owned a bike! lol..:-O( i used to do 20 mile a day then work and pleasure wise)
but i can cover a lot more distance on the bike around my area(slowly) than i could in the car,which i think is making me a lazy birdwatcher..dropping in on certain places etc..
the birding biker to be!! :t:

problem solved

plenty room in one of these babys used this to go to the bothy last year about 20 mile round trip that where pic taken

Attachments

• e (7).JPG
    e (7).JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 255
use a bit of carpet underlay or high-impact foam to protect your scope if your panniers bash about. Or a bungee rope taken around the pannier and hooked onto your frame so that it holds everything still, though of course both ideas will slow you down when unpacking it. Or, an Angled 62mm Swaro fits perfectly into a Carradice Super C saddlebag.

your tripod can be bungeed across the rear rack (folded down is probably best ;))

good panniers - if you can find some then the big square dutch ones are brilliant and you can get a months shopping in them too, but the only place i know where to buy them is in Cambridge. Failing that there are several makers - Ortlieb, Karrimor, Carradice to name a few - so its worth looking about. I believe you have both an Evans Cycles and an Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative store up your way, maybe try in one or both of them ?
thanks

good luck
thanks karl
this is more in the line i am looking..carrying the gear wise.
some great responses thro- thanks.

What kind of bike did you get? Was that a typo or was it really only 89 pounds? I'd recommend a good hybrid one day, if you like cycling....I don't know about the UK, but here the best value ones at the moment are made by Giant. Dawes Discovery is a nice bike too, probably cheaper in the UK (Made there, presumably?). Sorry to go off-topic, but a light bike with good parts, that's easier to cycle, will get you around more, you'll be more inclined to use it, and you'll be carrying a lot of kit it seems so weight could be an issue. Best of luck!

What kind of bike did you get? Was that a typo or was it really only 89 pounds? I'd recommend a good hybrid one day, if you like cycling....I don't know about the UK, but here the best value ones at the moment are made by Giant. Dawes Discovery is a nice bike too, probably cheaper in the UK (Made there, presumably?). Sorry to go off-topic, but a light bike with good parts, that's easier to cycle, will get you around more, you'll be more inclined to use it, and you'll be carrying a lot of kit it seems so weight could be an issue. Best of luck!

hi sancho
the bike is only £89 ...from halfords in the appollo range..
its a starter for me on the birds and biking issue.. so will report on my findings.:t:
i know i can only carry certain gear at the moment...and will take a bit of time to get used to fitting all on the cycle(if i can)!!!!!
but i know i can cover a bigger area quicker from a bike...than on foot.
and not miss whats between.. with using a car.!

Congratulations! I found that I learned to locate by sound much better from a bike (obviously!;)) too. You hear a lot more cycling through the countryside. Happy Cycling!

Congratulations! I found that I learned to locate by sound much better from a bike (obviously!;)) too. You hear a lot more cycling through the countryside. Happy Cycling!
sound has always been a key to bird id..and locating ..always will be..
like you have said can only be enhanced with using non motorished methods birdwatching wise.. so to speak..
saddle sore after picking the bike up and doing 5 miles..ish..lol..:-O..today and seeing nowt really..i know it will get better..:t:
but it was nice to cover the distance i did in the time span..
and i enjoyed it..
the camera never came out of the back pack,but the bins were tucked into my fleeze ready to use..

Last edited:
Nice one, Seggs. A bit of obvious advice, forgive me if it sounds patronising or if it's way-off topic: if saddle-sore, consider cycling pants, either short or long version, with padded bottom. Make sure the saddle is adjusted to the proper height....when on the pedals, your leg full extended should be straight at the knee (to get maximum "push" and to avoid strain on knee-bits when your leg comes up to the top). After a few tries, you won't be saddle-sore anymore. And don't overdo it....I don't know what age you are, or fitness level or physique or whatever, but take it handy. The more you enjoy it, the more you'll do it! Best of Luck!:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back