• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you carry your binoculars? (1 Viewer)

How do you carry your binoculars

• Total voters
I'm no less than equally surprised that people can be so incapable of understanding that there are many ways of doing things which bring satisfaction to others, not to mention totally closed-minded to the possibility of doing anything in a manner differing from their own.

Would be nice to have people simply state what they like without feeling the need to belittle those who don't use their preferred methods. It's nice that the old-school neck strap is perfect for you though.

Exactly, especially when people poopoo stuff they haven’t even tried. Not to mention the fact that simple body type differences can make a difference. I have very broad thick shoulders and even the swaro comfort strap doesn’t work for me for long. More than a half hour dangling from my neck it puts pressure on my neck in a unusual way and causes neck pain with 30oz binos.

Whereas with a chest bag I can actually access them faster than on the neck strap since I keep the objective covers and rain guard closed to keep crap out of them. With the bag flip the lid and there they are.

I like the swaro side bag a lot, the downside is that the only way I could have slower access would be if they were in my backpack or back at the truck. It’s comfortable and out of the way though.

Exactly, especially when people poopoo stuff they haven’t even tried.
My thoughts exactly. I don't care if I don't want to use a common neck carry or chest harness; all I care is that other people like them and that's all the validation they need. For me it's still just cross body carry or pocket and I wish we could all accept that different people = different needs or preferences.

Hey, all I wrote was:

I imagine Messrs Heath Robinson and Rube Goldberg would take great delight in reading this thread.

Under almost all nature-watching circumstances, I'm an original strap, worn conventionally, with bins high-on-chest type.

I'm genuinely surprised that so many find this elegantly simple arrangement unsatisfactory.

The thread has been illuminating for me. I WAS AND AM genuinely surprised that so many people find a simple and conventional neck strap arrangement unsatisfactory.

The thread also clearly reveals that some people who DO find a simple and conventional neck strap arrangement unsatisfactory have come up with varying alternatives: some of which are considerably more involved than a simple neck strap.

I assure all learned forum members that I'm unconditionally accepting of the fact that some people do indeed find a simple and conventional neck strap arrangement unsatisfactory, and that other arrangements undoubtedly suit them better.

I further assure all members that I do not discriminate against, nor judge my fellow human beings based on how they carry binoculars.

Quite how my observations might be interpreted as closed-minded, belittling, poo-pooing or result in the implied insult that I'm "incapable of understanding that there are many ways of doing things which bring satisfaction to others" is - I suggest - snowflakery at its most insidious.

I note the 'offended' all seem to declare association with the USA. If it hasn't escaped them, I'd suggest there are currently innumerable legitimate domestic injustices that they might consider better worthy of their DESERVED protestation.

Now, back to the spirit of the thread. Sometimes when I'm evaluating a new binocular against an existing one, I'll wear the new one around my neck on a conventional strap and balance my existing one (strapless) on my head. This enables quick and easy swapping and thereby effective side-by-side evaluation. I do hope no one's offended by this admission.

Last edited:
Bandolier style, sometimes with the help of a carabiner, like the camera when it isn't in the backpack.

Attachments

• 20230123_152722.jpg
    20230123_152722.jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221118_151908.jpg
    20221118_151908.jpg
    826 KB · Views: 64
  • 20221118_154952.jpg
    20221118_154952.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 63
If we could keep this on topic please.

Full size binoculars I carry round my neck with the supplied strap. Adjusted short as practical, makes for quicker draw and less bounce.

Pocket binoculars I hold in my hand with a wrist strap for safety. I will drop them and let the bins dangle if I need to temporarily use my hand, to open a gate or if I get to a scrambly bit on a walk.

Rarely use original neck straps that come with binoculars. Best neck strap belongs to Swaro Habicht - I ordered one from swaro just to use with other binoculars.

I recently switched over to a Leash Camera Strap from peak design (Leash)

Very comfortable and easy to adjust. Best latch mechanism too with the anchor links that can easily be attached to binoculars.

Bandolier style, sometimes with the help of a carabiner, like the camera when it isn't in the backpack.
RE the first picture: do you find that you're knocking the binos against your arms / walking pole?

I'd be a bit worried about snapping the NL headrest, in that situation.

Rarely use original neck straps that come with binoculars. Best neck strap belongs to Swaro Habicht - I ordered one from swaro just to use with other binoculars.

I recently switched over to a Leash Camera Strap from peak design (Leash)

Very comfortable and easy to adjust. Best latch mechanism too with the anchor links that can easily be attached to binoculars.
I like that attachment system. Better than the metal rings I use with my harness.

I'd like to apologize for my role in allowing this thread to go sideways. I promise to strive to do better moving forward.
Thanks,

RE the first picture: do you find that you're knocking the binos against your arms / walking pole?

I'd be a bit worried about snapping the NL headrest, in that situation.
No, never, I think it's a very unlikely event. Less unlikely might be hitting the obiective lens with the trekking pole when I hold the binoculars and let the pole dangle below it. See the attached photos. I always try to close the lens covers.

P.S. The shots taken this afternoon show the second tragic winter without snow in the central Italian Alps.

Attachments

• 20230201_164119.jpg
    20230201_164119.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230201_162641.jpg
    20230201_162641.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Rarely use original neck straps that come with binoculars. Best neck strap belongs to Swaro Habicht - I ordered one from swaro just to use with other binoculars. I recently switched over to a Leash Camera Strap from peak design (Leash)
For a minimalist approach I've been using either the "wide shoestring" strap that comes with the 8x20 Ultravids, but since Leica doesn't make one for the larger binoculars, my favored strap had become the slightly wider equivalent made by Canon for their cameras.

Of all the straps I've seen, your Leash option is the greatest temptation I've seen yet and will have to look into them more. Great features and I'm sure that a lot of other minimalists will be checking them out now. Thanks for the link and I hope you'll eventually write more on them, maybe even a dedicated thread?

Its a start-up company from California, Peak-Design - catered mainly to photographers with excellent bags and straps. They hired a former apple engineer for some of their product design and it shows. I have been buying stuff from them for the last decade. Lifetime warranty on all their products (hence its worth checking out their used marketplace for their "certified pre-owned" stuff thats often discounted). I have their full size strap for my camera and use their smallest strap, "the leash" for bins. The material is top notch, comfortable, and easily "packable". The latch mechanism is brilliant. The adjustments to length are very easy to make and it doesn't slide or let loose. For the price its well worth a try.

Here is my conquest modeling the strap some more haha.

Attachments

• 6Z3A7886.JPG
    6Z3A7886.JPG
    708 KB · Views: 53
  • 6Z3A7889.jpg
    6Z3A7889.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 6Z3A7888.JPG
    6Z3A7888.JPG
    697.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 6Z3A7887.JPG
    6Z3A7887.JPG
    756.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 6Z3A7893.jpg
    6Z3A7893.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 6Z3A7896.jpg
    6Z3A7896.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 54
Its a start-up company from California, Peak-Design - catered mainly to photographers with excellent bags and straps. They hired a former apple engineer for some of their product design and it shows. I have been buying stuff from them for the last decade. Lifetime warranty on all their products (hence its worth checking out their used marketplace for their "certified pre-owned" stuff thats often discounted). I have their full size strap for my camera and use their smallest strap, "the leash" for bins. The material is top notch, comfortable, and easily "packable". The latch mechanism is brilliant. The adjustments to length are very easy to make and it doesn't slide or let loose. For the price its well worth a try.

Here is my conquest modeling the strap some more haha.

Samolot,

Thanks for this. Without having seen this strap in person, let alone tried one, but based on your pictures I'll (as usual) go out on a limb and say this is the most intelligently designed "adjustable on the fly" strap I have seen. I have several versions of the SW adjustable straps including pre-FP, and FP both EL and new CL. While the concept is a good one, I have never found the execution of the concept by SW satisfactory for my use.

Coincidentally, I am awaiting delivery of a Trinovid BCA 8x20 that looks like it includes a similar but smaller version of your "leash" Peak-Design strap. I will post when it arrives.

Mike

My enclosed marsupial harness came in last week and I’ve used it on four hikes now. This thing is the ticket.

I went with the medium this time because the small standard pack was just a little tighter than I’d like with the NL’s and the eye cups where I like them. It’s a little longer than it needs to be but not by much.

Compared to binos on a strap with no rain guards or objective caps it doesn’t even take a second longer to get them to my eyes. The standard pack is just as fast as a neck strap, no difference. It’s way way faster than popping off a rain guard and objective cover and offers that same protection plus more. The binos also aren’t swaying around when I walk and the harness puts no pressure on my neck unlike the Swarovski “comfort” neck strap. Also a lot more comfortable with a backpack than the neck strap.

I won’t even get into how slow it is to get them out of the Swarovski side bag they came with.

All in all this thing is a win. I liked my marsupial standard harness pretty well but the standard straps weren’t anywhere near as comfortable as the padded that comes standard on these and I like the fully enclosed protection for the split second speed penalty.

Being able to hook my dogs leash to it with a carabiner to go hands free and also hook my Garmin and water bottle to it are nice features too and the straps support that weight with no fatigue.

Attachments

• FC380FE2-856C-47A2-BBFC-E173970C9770.jpeg
    FC380FE2-856C-47A2-BBFC-E173970C9770.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • A846238A-89D1-4872-8104-2E6916995311.jpeg
    A846238A-89D1-4872-8104-2E6916995311.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
My enclosed marsupial harness came in last week...

That bag looks great!

I've not heard of that brand before, but they look like nice bags. Since I moved from Vortex to Swarovski, I've been missing the very nice and secure Vortex Glasspak, so I'd be interested to try a Marsupial with my own NL 12x42s.

They seem to offer a range of colours, including one that is pretty close to the Swaro green. (They even have an orange that would go well with an orange 32mm NL - below. Not that I'd get that colour, myself!)

As a glasses wearer, I don't extend the eyecups, but do you still think a 'medium' will be the perfect choice for any 42mm NL?

Bag.jpg

Ah, they have a sizing chart!

They recommend a medium for any NL 42 with a headrest.

Good to know!

Yeah if you have the headrest you’ll want the medium. Otherwise the NL12’s fit fine in a small with the eyecups not extended. It will go in them with the eyecups extended to the fourth position where I use them but it’s just very tight getting the magnet to latch. That’s why I went medium to try out this enclosed.

My guess is the headrest will give you an even better point to grab to pull the out, I pull them out by the left strap and then grab them with my right hand when enough of the barrel clears out of the bag. It’s very fast.

I’d test it but I sent the headrest back because it was a pain to use with them on the tripod. I run the eyecups in and I’m often looking down into the image at times if that makes sense.

As I have a habit to carry more heavy binoculars like 7x50 or 10x50 I only carry them around my neck when actually watching. Otherwise, especially when hiking, I put them (one at a time) in a second hand Swiss army ammunition pouch (modified with some additional heavy duty leather carrying strap). This way it is easily accessible and protected from the odd bump and rain. Plus it is low profile nobody would expect some expensive binocular inside.

Like this: Pochette pour magazine - Stgw 57

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back