• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Do You Pronounce ____________? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It baffles me again why the "anglicized" version of a clearly accented name is not spelled alternatively so the correct pronunciation is kept.

"Arasari" or "arassari" would have been just fine.

You've been over there too long mate, 'anglicised' ;)

Oh no, next you know I'll be saying black-bellied plover instead of grey plover...!! Although, in this particular case my very American computer and its spellcheck is mostly to blame ;)

It even tried to correct your spelling when I hit the post button!!

1689141620240.png

Scaup is pronounced Skawp in dictonaries, but I've heard Skowp so many times from birders, that I do think there's a case for giving this variant official status - seeing as hardly anyone uses the word other than birders.

I once heard adverts on Spanish-language radio here in the Washington DC area with 'correct' yet incorrect pronounciations. In one case, the second "c" in Connecticut (~ Avenue) was pronounced distinctly (it's actually "kuh-neh-tuh-kuht"); in the other case, the Gude in Gude Drive was pronounced as a single syllable with a long "u" ... it's actually a two-syllable family name "goo-dee".

I say "skawp", "toe-hee" and "toe-ee", and "dick-siss-ull". And "eye-bis" and rarely "eye-bus".

I've always said:
Scaup as 'scowp'
Towhee as 'toe-hee'
Dickcissel as 'dik-i-sul'

But I have really no idea if I'm saying it right or not.

Also always though Ibis should be 'i-bis'
For me they are "toe-ee" (with a silent "h") and "dik-sis-ul".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back