• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many Feeders to have? (1 Viewer)

Hi .

three nut feeders, two bottle feeders which screw on to a used squash drink bottle, three normal seed feeders. 1 fat ball feeder two suet block feeders and one ball feeder a bird table and a floor feeder. two seed feeders are just for sunflower seeds others mixed seed. Mealworms and other scrapes placed around garden for the ground dwellers.

These are spaced along/around a 45ft long garden which is narrow in width. Sometimes the suet feeders are placed deep in a few bushes/trees where blue and great tits can find them and starlings don't.

Costs a damn fortune to keep them filled but worth every penny to watch the birds.

Richard

2 hanging seed feeders (In Use)
1 sock feeder (In Use)
1 suet cage (In Use)
1 woodpecker seed block cage
1 Oriel Feeder
1 Humming bird Feeder
1 home made peanut feeder – Ver. 1.0
1 tray feeder (In Use)

I have
3 groundfeeders with mixed seed
2 sunflower heart feeders
1 peanut feeder which hardly gets touched
2 cages with suet pellets
1 fatball feeder
2 suet block feeders
and a wife that aint too happy at the cost of it all...............
but i make my own suet balls and blocks which brings the cost down a bit.

currently for my medium sized garden:

2 large nut feedeers
1 v.large nut feeder
1 large seed
1 small seed
1 small nijer
1 fatball holder
1 fat cake holder

that I can see ..there might be more

4 Tube Feeders with B.O.S.S.
4 Tube Feeders with Nyger seed
2 Suet Feeders
2 Tray Feeders
1 Hopper Feeder with a Platform underneath
1 Peanut Feeder

And there's already room for more. ;)

B :)

You people know your stuff! Some great feeder plans here. The goal for me is to have as many feeders with enough of a diversity of offerings that I can get anything possible to pay chance a visit, but keep it practical and manageable enough that it's never a burden to keep clean feeders and a fresh banquet.

In the back garden there are two nut feeders, one very large seed feeder and a table. I also throw food on the ground.

In the front I have a seed feeder, a nut feeder and a fat ball feeder which I keep filled with scones as many birds enjoy them. Again, I scatter food on the ground.

I found a great feeder on line called the "Gemini Feeder".... Google works to find them...got rid of all my squirrel problems. The designers say to use black oil sunflower and some sunflower hearts. My list of observed song birds...
Gold Finch
Cardinal
Flicker
Downy Woodpecker
Bluebird (yes bluebird eating hearts)
Titmouse
Towee
Purple Finch
House Finch
the list goes on...best of all no squirrels.

We feed peanuts, black sunflower, niger seed and mixed seed in front of the house, Peanuts, niger seed and mixed seed at the back. Cheese gratings plus apple slices on the ground for Blackbirds.

We get three different Greater Spotted Woodpeckers on the peanuts, up to 20 Goldfinches on the niger seed, plus large numbers of greenfinch, chaffinch and the occasional brambling eating sunflower etc. The occasional overwintering Blackcap on peanuts is a real bonus.

We've just moved to the RSPB ring-pull feeders wich are easy to clean and very robust. They are well worth the extra money. The large RSPB peanut feeder is bigger than most which seem to help attract the woodpeckers.

The money spent on bird feed is good value given the endless entertainment and interest it provides - and it's helping to support the wild bird population in hard times.

11 feeders in my small garden, including two bird tables, a ground tray, nyger seed feeder, 2 sunflower heart feeders, fat ball feeder (holds 4 balls minus the bags) and a peanut feeder.
This supports up to 100 birds at a time!

The goal for me is to have as many feeders with enough of a diversity of offerings that I can get anything possible to pay chance a visit, but keep it practical and manageable enough that it's never a burden to keep clean feeders and a fresh banquet.

A sensible approach :t:

2 Nuts Feeders, 2 Nyger, 2 Sunflower seed, 1 Ground seed feeder, I Suet cake holder, 1 Bird Table with cover, some cheap lard smeared onto a tree trunk and a bird bath for me :smoke:

I have 4 seed/nut feeders and one fat ball feeder and then i have my home made fat cakes in coconut shells and also have ground feed including seed, porridge, bread (Wet) and a bowl of water!

I've got a fairly small garden but I've still got room for my niger seed feeder, fat ball feeder (the most popular at this time of year!) and nut feeder (full of blue tits). I've also got a bird bath and a water tray which I'm struggling to keep unfrozen at the moment. Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Jo

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back