• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many pixels do you need... (VI) (2 Viewers)

jebir

Yoda Eagle
to ID a bird? Or... How many need anything else but a cell phone cam?

Here comes the sixth edition of the "How many pixels quiz".

I'll start off by posting a thumbnail of a bird image consisting of only a few pixels.
After a while I post the next version with about twice as many pixels and so on.
The one that first can ID the bird on the image wins great honour and glory among in this forum... :king: ... no?

The record is held by Fifebirder who just needed 48 pixels to ID a pied flycatcher! In order to give everyone a chance to beat his record, I'll start with 24 pixels. 8-P .... Good Luck!!!!

--- Update 1 ---

Came back early so I'll give you the next level now since there are so few guesses.

--- Update 2 ---

Since all three guesses, mute swan, sand martin, and crane, so far have been quite far off, and because I'm going to bed soon, I decided to give you the 117 pixels thumbnail now. Hopefully it will be a bit more inspiring :bounce:

--- Update 3 ---

OK, not kestrel, smew, or snow bunting either. Now I'll give you the 234 pixels thumbnail:

--- Update 4 ---

Since it is no black stork, grey heron, lesser blackbacked gull, eider or coot, here comes the 450 pixels thumbnail. Something to ponder over supper... ;)

--- Update 5 ---

None of the attempts: Canada goose, brent goose, cormorant, marsh harrier, or common buzzard that have been suggested for the 450 pixel thumb was right. So here comes na 875 pixels version (sorry, I had to remove the 24 pixels version since the site doesn't allow more than 5 thumbnails):

--- Final update ---

Congratulations to Dave B who saw that it is a Great grey shrike.

Here is the final image.
Here is the final 'non-pixelated' thumbnail.

Here we go:
----- 875 pixels ----- 54 pixels ------ 117 pixels ----- 234 pixels ----- 450 pixels ---

Attachments

• Quiz1_06_img9.JPG
    Quiz1_06_img9.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Quiz1_06_img8.JPG
    Quiz1_06_img8.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Quiz1_06_img7.JPG
    Quiz1_06_img7.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Quiz1_06_img6.JPG
    Quiz1_06_img6.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Quiz1_06_img5.JPG
    Quiz1_06_img5.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Nope... no mute swan. But you are in the right part of the world... |;|

I'll go out for an hour now, and update the thumbnail when I come back.

Cheers, Jens.

Hi Andrew,

nice to see that you are in for this round as well! You are right! - Sand martin is wrong.

A clue could be that I took the picture today.

Cheers, Jens.

He he... you know what we have here in Sweden these days don't you? I'm planning to go to Lake Hornborga next week but this one is smaller than a crane and larger than a sand martin.

I'll give you the 117 pixels version now before I go to bed. If nobody figured it out tomorrow morning before I go birding, then I'll put up the 234 pixels thumbnail for you to ponder during the morning.

Cheers, Jens

This is a fun thread, thought I'd have a guess or two. Pretty much random guesses, first one Kestrel

Mark

Hi Denis,

it seems to fit colourwise but smew is not what is on that picture. I'll go out soon and look for smew and hopefully be able to take a picture too.

Cheers, Jens.

Hi.

It isn't a black stork, grey heron, or lesser blackbacked gull either.

Maybe it's time to update with the 450 pixels thumbnail?

Cheers, Jens.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back