• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How often do Jays kill small birds/nestlings ? (1 Viewer)

osborne

Watched a Jay with a small bird in it's beak today. It was being furiously mobbed by numerous small birds of different species ( I recorded Great Tit, Yellowhammer, Pied Wagtail, Goldfinch and several Chaffinches amongst the mobbing crowd.) How regularly do Jays kill small birds/nestlings ?

This discussion came up on one of my listservs this week. Apparantly it happens more often than you would think. The discussion started out as a venemous attack on parsitic cowbirds but it was pointed out that bluejays are just as much responsible if not more for the decline of certain songbirds. Interesting and nature at its rawest.

osborne said:
Watched a Jay with a small bird in it's beak today. It was being furiously mobbed by numerous small birds of different species ( I recorded Great Tit, Yellowhammer, Pied Wagtail, Goldfinch and several Chaffinches amongst the mobbing crowd.) How regularly do Jays kill small birds/nestlings ?

The answer to above is actually fairly simple. Jay's are highly optimistic omnivores, meaning that they will kill small birds if they get the chance. The same can be said about nest predation. Whenever they find a nest, they will eat what is in it if given the chance. In most populations nestlings & eggs are a fairly regularly food item for jays. - Of course only at the time of year when other birds actually nest...

Last edited:
It's something to watch as they fly silentley into an area, land and just perch checking things out.

I watched one follow a grackle back to its nest, after the parent fed the nestlings and left, the jay was right there taking one before they knew he was there. A total of three nestlings were taken in quick time. They are nest robbers for sure!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back