• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to write the name of a hybrid (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Hi all,

I have a question concerning the correct way of writing the name of a hybrid: should the "x" be in italic when we use the scientific names?

Consider, for example, the hybrid Gadwall x Mallard. The scientific name of this hybrid would be Mareca strepera x Anas platyrhynchos.

My question concerns the red "x" that appears between both scientific names. Should it be italic or normal?

Thanks,
Gonçalo

The × character should not be italicised but also note it is the multiplication symbol "×" not the x character "x" or "X". Also if your typesetting software allows you should use a "hairspace" rather than a normal space.

The hairspace is either side of the ×. But note it is multiplication NOT X, × and x are different characters.
Mareca strepera × Anas platyrhynchos
NOT
Mareca strepera x Anas platyrhynchos

A lesson pleast @Mono :

How do you get the multiplication x... the only thing I have on my keyboard is the asterisk
and what is a "hairspace" I've never heard that term.... and how do you do it?

How do you get the multiplication x... the only thing I have on my keyboard is the asterisk
and what is a "hairspace" I've never heard that term.... and how do you do it?
I googled "hairspace" and at first I only got sites for hairdressers but eventually I found that it's U+200A. And the multiplication symbol is U+00D7.

As for your keyboard, I have a Windows computer and × is easy enough to find in the Character Map program. So I can type Mareca strepera × Anas platyrhynchos easily enough (except for the hair space).

Your computer and keyboard may differ. And Mono's post does use the hair space so you could always copy and paste from there.

There are many different spaces used in typefaces.

There are em spaces
There are en spaces
There are third spaces
There are half spaces
There are quarter spaces
There are thin spaces
There are hair spaces
Plus quite a few more!

A spacebar space is a half space. Most text editors don't allow straightforward access to alternate spaces. Adobe InDesign does, which I used for the above. Word has them buried in Insert Symbol > Special Character but doesn't include hair space. You can use the Alt+ technique to get to any Unicode character

In word you can write Branta canadensisu+200a×u+200aAnser anser.
In my version of word, putting the cursor behind u+200a and pressing Alt C results (after doing it for both) in:
Branta canadensis × Anser anser.
Branta canadensis × Anser anser is what you get with normal spacing.

Grrr... Alt + 0125 gives me a curly bracket (closed one), which I already have on the keyboard.

I'll try and get the Special Characters up to study them.

That's correct – × is ALT + 0215.

Oh no! I do seem to suffer a bit of numerical dyslexia I seem to have done 0125

ALT+0125 = }

Interestingly it doesn't seem to matter if you use the + or not - Alt plus 0215

with the plus sign ×

without the plus sign ×

But this is of course all non-standard, OS-dependent behaviour. On my computer :
  • the multiplication sign '×' is Ctrl + Shift + u00D7
  • the hairspace ' ' is Ctrl + Shift + u200A
  • in a word processor, Alt + 0215 will do absolutely nothing; in my browser, Alt + 0 does nothing, but if I then add 215, Alt + 2 shifts me to the second open tab, Alt + 1 to the first, and Alt + 5 to fifth.
;)

Last edited:
My Android phone has the multiplication symbol on the keyboard. As does the Windows onscreen keyboard.

But this is of course all non-standard, OS-dependent behaviour. On my computer :
  • the multiplication sign '×' is Ctrl + Shift + u00D7
  • the hairspace ' ' is Ctrl + Shift + u200A
Remarkably simple. Just type the Unicode number with the Ctrl key pressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back