• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's your 2022 list going? (1 Viewer)

Whoa!! Are you gonna break 1k this year??
Would have loved to, but since I don't have any further trips, I can only bird around my area which has made sure I have 924 for the year, and since I dipped on 4 targets yesterday. I can only hope that I can break 1,000 in a year in the future!

This morning there was an apparent fall-out of a rare but (almost) annual winter migrant. I saw one on one lake and three on another.

468. Surf Scoter

Dave

This morning I found a new species for Preston County at a nearby pond farm. I've seen the species in two different neighboring counties in West Virginia, but none has ever been seen here until today.

469. Trumpeter Swan

It had a tagged wing, with the code P61, and interestingly the same bird was seen for about five days in neighboring Garrett County, Maryland in December of 2017. Based on the tag number, it was learned that the bird is a male and was tagged on January 1, 2017, near Burlington, Ontario, making it at least six and a half years old.

Dave

Last edited:
There were a couple of gulls to get at the big lake, but as we had to do a count, we showed up at noon in order to do 2 hours, on and off with breaks in the car, could not chase the gull somewhere else on the lake. So no new birds in 2 trips to the lake. I was looking for a Kittiwake Sunday but it only appeared one day (Saturday).
Year list ends with:
216​
Bonaparte's Gull
217​
Black Scoter

A last hurrah for the year, along the North Wales coast

301. Great Black-backed Gull
302. European Rock Pipit
303. Eurasian Oystercatcher
304. Red-breasted Merganser
305. Great Scaup
306. Common Scoter
307. Velvet Scoter
308. Snow Bunting
309. Red Knot
310. Twite
311. Merlin
312. Pink-footed Goose

(Everglades National Park)
928. Sedge Wren
929. Swamp Sparrow
930. Red-breasted Merganser

Seems like I missed a species somewhere in my listing, but e-Bird says I have 930, so 930 it is.

Lost my phone at the end of the year so it took me a good bit to go back and review my 2022 final numbers. Last 8 species all from SoCal CBCs:
311. Clay-colored Sparrow
312. Red-naped Sapsucker
313. Ferruginous Hawk
314. Townsend’s Solitaire
315. Golden Eagle
316. Merlin
317. Hutton’s Vireo
318. Scaly-breasted Munia

Not my best showing by a long shot, but my first full year birding as a father (and no international travel also as a result of that, erm, “adjustment”).

2023 is now well underway with plenty of birds to be excited about!

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back