• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's your 2022 list going? (1 Viewer)

A couple from the neighborhood this past week:
123. Townsend's Warbler
124. Red-lored Parrot

A big Sunday morning birding with a friend aiming for a non-coastal, one-location high species count, inspired by a fellow birder's Friday list of 85 from this spot, we put in a valiant effort of 78 species (76 for me) in 6 hours:
125. Neotropic Cormorant
126. Violet-green Swallow
127. Cactus Wren
128. Barn Swallow
129. Rock Wren
130. Lawrence’s Goldfinch
131. Chipping Sparrow
132. American Pipit
133. Greater White-fronted Goose
134. Ross’s Goose
135. Snow Goose
136. Clark’s Grebe
137. American Robin
138. Vermilion Flycatcher
139. Western Meadowlark
140. Burrowing Owl
141. Mountain Bluebird
142. Common Merganser
143. Belted Kingfisher
144. Lincoln’s Sparrow

And a Sunday afternoon family hike:
145. Steller’s Jay

Last edited:
FEBRUARY 2022 - MONTHLY OVERVIEW

- Was able to increase my year list to 79 from 37 this month, mainly due to a great non-birding (family) visit to Portland, Oregon.

- That included five lifers, all in Oregon, including the American Wigeon, Snow Goose, Short-billed Gull, Golden-crowned Sparrow, and Hutton's Vireo.

Lifers in bold, and any birds I didn't see last year get a (+).

Went searching for the Snow Goose again today, to no avail....

February 1

Washington DC, USA
38. Northern Flicker

A few more in the neighborhood...

February 6

Chevy Chase, MD, USA
39. Common Grackle
40. White-breasted Nuthatch
41. Gray Catbird

Visiting family in Portland, Oregon and getting in some bird-watching.

Saw 21 species today, including a group of American Wigeon.

February 11

Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden, Porland, OR, USA
42. Anna's Hummingbird
43. Cackling Goose (+)
44. Wood Duck
45. Gadwall
46. American Wigeon
47. Green-winged Teal
48. Lesser Scaup (+)
49. Pied-billed Grebe
50. Bald Eagle
51. Chestnut-backed Chickadee (+)
52. Golden-crowned Kinglet (+)
53. Brown Creeper (+)

Saw some more great birds today in Oregon. Including the amazing site of about 500 Snow Geese flying down the Columbia River.

Ironic, given I wasn't looking for them particularly and had spent multiple days in Washington DC staking out a single Snow Goose...

February 12

Berrydale Park, Portland, OR, USA
54. Barn Swallow
55. Bushtit (+)
56. Pine Siskin
57. Lesser Goldfinch

Multnomah Falls, Bridal Veil, OR, USA
58. Common Merganser
59. Pacific Wren (+)
60. Snow Goose (500!!)

Bonus points for seeing at least 11 waterfalls at Multnomah.

Went on a walk focused on gulls with a group from the local Oregon Birding Association chapter and had a great morning out on the Willamette river. We saw seven different gulls, among other things, including a lifer: Short-billed Gull.

February 13

Willamette Park, Porland, OR, USA
61. Short-billed Gull
62. California Gull (+)
63. Iceland Gull (+)
64. Glaucous-winged Gull (+)
65. Spotted Towhee
66. Western Gull (+)
67. Glaucous Gull (+)
68. Peregrine Falcon (+)
69. California Scrub-Jay
70. Black-capped Chickadee
71. American Goldfinch

My last full day in Portland, Oregon and ended up seeing 57 species this trip, including two more lifers today - the Golden-crowned Sparrow and Hutton's Vireo. Always great to visit the beautiful and majestic Pacific Northwest.

February 15

Mt. Tabor Park, Porland, OR, USA
72. Pileated Woodpecker (+)
73. Steller's Jay
74. Red Crossbill (+)
75. Fox Sparrow (+)
76. Golden-crowned Sparrow

Hoyt Arboretum, Porland, OR, USA

77. Hutton's Vireo

February 20

Glenstone Museum, Potomac, MD, USA
78. Carolina Wren

Went out with a group of birders on Sunday looking for Short-eared Owls, which had been seen the previous evening, and we also had a chance at a Northern Shrike. Both would have been lifers. But after three hours of searching, and conditions being just too windy, we had to give up once it became too dark. Anyhow, it was still a great afternoon out, we saw 19 species, and I was able to add one more bird to the year list...

February 27

Oaks Landfill, Gaithersburg, MD, USA
79. Red-winged Blackbird

++ 2022 Birding Locales so far ++
  • USA - District of Columbia - Washington
  • USA - Maryland - Chevy Chase, Clarksburg, Damascus, Gaithersburg, Potomac
  • USA - Oregon - Bridal Veil, Portland
Latest lifer: #869 - Hutton's Vireo (Portland, OR, USA)

Been so busy with work lately that I hardly managed to get out. This week I have family visiting from Netherlands and we did a hike up in the mountains in Girona. Not aimed at birds but still managed to net 2 more for the 2022 list

68. Mistle Thrush
69. Carrion Crow

unfortunately missed out on seeing a Nuthatch, even though I was in prime Nuthatch territory :(

(Southern Palm Beach)
455. Wilson's Snipe
456. King Rail

(Lucky Hammock area)
457. Eastern Towhee
458. Eastern Whip-poor-will
459. Great Horned Owl

Went out with high hopes this morning but didn’t see much of interest. Increasing rain forced me to quit birding and head home early.

As so often happens in birding, you find the good stuff while not really looking. I was at my table eating lunch. I glanced out the window at the American Goldfinches on my thistle feeder and saw an astounding mega rarity for this area, feeding with the goldfinches.

95. Common Redpoll

I rushed to get my camera and eventually got a couple of great photos.

Dave

70. Rose ringed Parakeet
71. Spotted Crake

The rose ringed parakeet was an easy one, enjoying an almond in the neighbors almond tree! The spotted Crake was a good one, it's a bit of a rarity of where I live and had a very good look at it at my birding spot!

Some travel by car to Santa Barbara and Ventura last week gave me time to explore neighboring counties:
146. White-winged Scoter
147. Eared Grebe
148. Glaucous-winged Gull
149. Hairy Woodpecker
150. Canvasback
151. Brewer’s Blackbird
152. Brown-headed Cowbird
153. Tricolored Blackbird
154. Nanday Parakeet

Last edited:
(Jonathan Dickinson State Park)
460. Wood Duck
461. Red-headed Woodpecker
462. Red-cockaded Woodpecker
463. Hairy Woodpecker
464. Florida Scrub-Jay
465. Eastern Bluebird
466. Bachman's Sparrow

mine hasn't even updated. life in new york for ya. usually it starts feeling like spring mid-april. early april if you're lucky.

Fifth time was the charm I guess. Went and twitched a small flock of White-winged Crossbill at a local cemetery, and finally connected with the species, getting great views. Only ever seen this species once before, way way back in 2004 when I first started birding!

Progress is slow so far... just don't have the time this year, besides going to the local patch for an hour or so a few times a week

72. Yellow-legged Gull
73. Black-winged Stilt

Got a tip a group of Garganey ducks were spotted in a parc nearby, hopped in the car at lunch break and got a Lifer

74. Garganey

Finally got the third list of 25. I also have a lifer thrush to add, but I did not want it appearing on rare bird alert, so adding it a week after sighting.

50​
Common Goldeneye
51​
Ring-billed Gull
52​
Greater White-fronted Goose
53​
Sandhill Crane
54​
Herring Gull
55​
Common Merganser
56​
Brown-headed Cowbird
57​
Snow Goose
58​
American Wigeon
59​
Northern Pintail
60​
Ring-necked Duck
61​
Ross's Goose
62​
Trumpeter Swan
63​
Turkey Vulture
64​
Wood Duck
65​
Red-shouldered Hawk
66​
Northern Mockingbird
67​
Eastern Towhee
68​
Eastern Meadowlark
69​
Bufflehead
70​
Northern Shoveler
71​
Gadwall
72​
Redhead
73​
American White Pelican
74​
Lesser Scaup
75​
American Coot

A slow few weeks with no birding opportunities, but today I managed to get another year tick in Debrecen's Botanical Gardens:

111. Short-toed Treecreeper

Only just starting to feel like spring here, so hopefully more stuff will start showing up in the next week or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back