• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (1 Viewer)

there appears to be a few manxies in wales, if you watch the bbc news, though the rspca are having fun putting lots of them down, on my way over your way shortly should be on the prom in about 90 minutes then parkgate and imf for me today, give me a wave if you see me :)

Hi Jane im heading over to the wirral tomorrow and was wondering if a seawatch from red rocks would be worthwhile? If so when would be the best time?

Regards Liam

No,there won't be any sea in and being at sea level it will be hard work looking out to sea across the beach. Go to New Brighton and Leasowe (Gunsite) or walk onto Hilbre

Two species added so far: Long-tailed SKua - a pale juv very close into the prom during a squall and a Leach's Petrel. 45 Close Manx Shearwaters (inside) and around 1-200 distant birds, in flocks by the windfarm. 20 other small skua sightings so far, all presumably Arctic, though one bird did look promising for a dark LTS, someone who saw the underwing properly thought it was an Arctic. The first Fulmar for ages, a few gannets and 2 Bonxies

I saw stood out on the balcony last night, watching a bat hunting the moths attracted to the street lights on the prom, when I was more than a little surprised to see an Asio Owl come in off the sea, fly up and down the front garden once, then leave westwards. It should by rights have been a Long-eared Owl, which would have been the 200th species for the house, however I could see both rather dark wing tips and rather white lower belly,as well as it looking narrow-winged.

SEO is new for the year however 134 (Mistle Thrush was still missing)

In 2001 I watched a SEO at night on the neighbour's lawn, eating a Redshank it had just plucked out out of the wader roost at midnight!

Last edited:
I was just up the coast at Leasowe gunsite for high tide yesterday morning when a Little Egret came in off the Sea. From the direction of travel it had come from the Formby area.

CB

I'm doing a marathon seawatch today - alas there isn't much at sea yet, the wind only picked up at 9am but the squalls might bring stuff in.

One Arctic Skua, one Gannet, a few Auks inc a Razorbill and terns are all there is at sea. However there is a large passage of hirundines underway and Anas ducks. Totals later. but the highlight is likely to be three Shoveler, which are new for the year and much less than annual here.

135 species

There are 7 Grey Geese on the beach about 3 miles away. I think they are Pink feet, but if they are they are all juvs - they seem quite brown above and short-neckedbut I'll need them to be flushed by the tide to be sure!

Any Grey goose would be new for the year!

Last edited:
So today's totals. 10-15:30 with Squall breaks. Westerly passage unless otherwise stated:
Arctic Skua 5
Pintail 48
Wigeon 34
Teal 10
Shoveler 3
Sandwich Tern 204
Commic Tern (All close birds under 1.5 miles Common) 80
Arctic Tern 1
Gannet 12
Razorbill 1
Guillemot 17
SCoter 118
Swallow 80
House Martin 20
Sand Martin 2
Fulmar 1
Great crested Grebe 62
Red-throated Diver 6
Cormorant 263 (roosting)
Pink-footed Goose 7 (in off the sea then inland towards the Carrs)
Curlew 112 roosting
Grey Plover 293 roosting
Curlew Sandpiper
Knot 3000
Peregrine 2

Pink-feet a little more than 2 miles away!

Attachments

• SANY0075.JPG
    SANY0075.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 243
  • SANY0089.JPG
    SANY0089.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I've been experimenting today and getting nostalgic with old scopes and tripods. My main reason is that I'm planning on trying to record through one of my current scopes onto laptop just in case I see anything good when sea-watching. I like to have two scopes free, one for scanning and one for example leaving on a bird on the water.

So here is a 20x50ED Nikon v 30x75 Optolyth v 15-60 (on 45) x60 Heutel and Reuss Televari. To honest I was surprised just how well the latter performed, even though the field of view was a bit like a tube of smarties and everything was a bit yellow. There is a fairly remarkable weight difference too.

Attachments

• SANY0002.JPG
    SANY0002.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 236
  • SANY0003.JPG
    SANY0003.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 223
  • SANY0004.JPG
    SANY0004.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 237
  • SANY0006.JPG
    SANY0006.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 280
  • SANY0008-1.JPG
    SANY0008-1.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 351
I've been experimenting today and getting nostalgic with old scopes and tripods. My main reason is that I'm planning on trying to record through one of my current scopes onto laptop just in case I see anything good when sea-watching. I like to have two scopes free, one for scanning and one for example leaving on a bird on the water.

So here is a 20x50ED Nikon v 30x75 Optolyth v 15-60 (on 45) x60 Heutel and Reuss Televari. To honest I was surprised just how well the latter performed, even though the field of view was a bit like a tube of smarties and everything was a bit yellow. There is a fairly remarkable weight difference too.
What is your opinion on the Optolyth Jane?
I find the Optolyth very average.

For a 30 year old scope that was full of moss it was still bright, has a great field of view. There was a slight vagueness to the image, which I put down to the various things growing in it and was why I replaced it originally.

If I had to I could use it, which is more than I can say for the old Kowa that I left off my list of optics! That went the way of the charity shop.

One Manxie going East and 3 Arctic Skuas just milling about a Red-throated Diver and 100or soGC Grebes today. Need those westerlies and need them to blow long!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back