• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird in the House!! (1 Viewer)

JCrens

United States
Hi, folks. I think I have a weird situation: A hummingbird in my kitchen area!!! The obvious question: How can I keep this little guy alive? I live in a wooded area in Saint Johns, FL. We have known hummingbird families in the neighborhood, but I'm fairly certain that there's one in my kitchen.

I know about the general behavior of hummingbirds, and in fact we have (poorly attended) hummingbird feeders on our porch. In the past, we have stocked them with sugar water.

But I also know that they need to feed about every two hours, and I have no idea how this bird has survived even 24 hours.

We do have some foliage in the kitchen -- Norfolk Island Pine and various flowering plants (but no flowers at the moment).

I need help, fast!! Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Oh, I almost forgot: We have two parrots, an African Grey and a Cockatoo. Perhaps the hummer is using their water?

All I can suggest is to open every door and window and hopefully it will find a way outside. It’s happened to me a few times although never a hummer. It worked every time. BTW,
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum!

We are glad that you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like and please keep us posted on your hummingbird visitor.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I would open all your doors and windows and it will find its way out.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I hope the hummingbird made it out.

Can't issue enough thanks to the folks who replied to my "hummingbird" query. However, it turned into a non-problem. The culprit wasn't the world's smallest bird at all, but the world's LARGEST bug <!!!>, Specifically, a flying roach, AKA a Florida Palmetto bug.

The thing that sent me off track was the wing beat frequency which, at 60Hz or so, is the same as that of an h-bird. Sorry for the mixup, but again, thanks so much for the responses.

P.S. I found the bug a few days later, minus his entire abdomen. Next obvious question: Who ate the rest of him???

Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back