• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hunting by night (1 Viewer)

Cheshire Birder

The other morning I observed a strange piece of behaviour and I wondered whether others had noticed it. It was pitch black and just after 7am but where I work is in an industrial estate so we have a couple of floodlights in our yard and as do most of the nearby warehouses. I looked up to see a male Sparrowhawk clearly in an hunting flight as he zipped by. Has anyone else seen similar behaviour?

CB

We know Peregrines can now hunt at night in city centres so I suppose it's not unreasonable to assume that other BOP's will learn to do this too. I know in Manchester Sparrowhawks target the Pied Wagtail roosts at night.

Was slightly surprised to see the Eleonora's Falcons off Essaouira (Morocco) hunting moths under the streetlights when I pitched up there in the middle of the night the other year. But I guess it makes sense if you think the streetlights (in the 3 cases mentioned already?) are maybe just an extension to the dusk the birds would normally hunt in (with superior eyesight they can have an advantage over less-sighted prey?)

But I guess it makes sense if you think the streetlights (in the 3 cases mentioned already?) are maybe just an extension to the dusk the birds would normally hunt in (with superior eyesight they can have an advantage over less-sighted prey?)

I would agree but I am unaware of any suitable prey that may be roosting in the are which it may have been after.

CB

When I 'retired' a few years ago, I did a paper round for a few years. For a while I did see a Sprawk at about 07-07.30 fly into a particular tree on a few mornings when it was just about sunrise. I thought at the time that it was getting into a position where it knew birds would be arriving, so it could be there ready to ambush them. Maybe there were feeders in the garden.

While waiting for owls the other night I watched a Peregrine chasing a crow in what was almost darkness so it clearly hadn't gone to roost and was still happy to hunt into the night...did get Barn and SEO too.

While waiting for owls the other night I watched a Peregrine chasing a crow in what was almost darkness so it clearly hadn't gone to roost and was still happy to hunt into the night...did get Barn and SEO too.

Are you suggesting it was hunting the Crow? I could see one possibly taking a Jackdaw but not anything bigger, does anyone know if they have ever been recorded taking Carrion Crows or Rooks?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back