• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid med x blackheaded gull or leucism? Strumpshaw, Norfolk , uk (2 Viewers)

ben_lewis

This Gull has returned to Strumpshaw for several years. I cant work out if its a hybrid Black headed gull x Mediterranean or if it is leucistic.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• hyb gull.jpg
    hyb gull.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 212
  • hyb gull1.jpg
    hyb gull1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 164
  • hyb gull2.jpg
    hyb gull2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 147
On overall structure it looks like a Black-headed Gull to me - I would go for a partially leucistic BH Gull. It reminded me of this Yl Gull from Lagos in Portugal.

Attachments

• Lar_mic_Lagos_27.01.2011.JPG
    Lar_mic_Lagos_27.01.2011.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 106
Thanks for your thoughts on this bird.
I was a little unsure because it had a very upright stance as shown in the first picture, also the brightly coloured legs looked a little odd. I have heard the bird calling several times too and it is subtlety different to the usual black head call, I couldn't start to put the call into words though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back