• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I never recommend the SE... (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
I never recommend the Nikon 8X32 SE to anyone. It’s because I don’t want to hear the following:

People tell me it’s the “old, outdated porro” style. I’m also treated like a complete birding novice. It hurts my feelings to be shunned.

You didn’t tell me the floppy eyecups are...so floppy. My friend’s $50 binocular has adjustable plastic eyecups. What gives?

It seems kind of lightweight. Shouldn’t it be heavier, more robust, and more bird-worthy?

The damn thing hangs funny.

I can’t use it in the rain? You’re kidding. I’ve used it in the rain several times but the view became really foggy. Funny thing…the fog stayed around for several days. Must be the weather.

My so-called friends at the birding club told me 32mm was too small. Size matters, so they say.

I have to apply force to make the damn focus work. I was told (by my friends at the birding club) that I’d miss a lot of wobblers because of the focus. I think they said wobblers but I might be wrong. Fast, little birds…those are the ones I’d miss…so they say.

You didn’t tell me the focus would slow down in cold weather. I never leave the house in winter but that’s a bummer.

It costs six hundred dollars? Are you nuts? I can buy 50 packs of smokes in NYC for six hundred dollars!

My friends at the birding club told me I couldn’t get much quality for six hundred dollars. They said if I wanted to be respected in the birding world I’d have to spend more than $2000…just like they did.

I have to buy what? You’re out of your mind. Based on your recommendation I bought the SE and, as you promised, got hooked on birding. Now you tell me I have to buy a watertight roof prism (whatever that means) for my upcoming pelagic trip to the Antarctic or suffer the consequences if I get the SE wet? What? To get the same quality I’ve grown accustomed to in my SE you suggest I spend north of $2000 for a roof prism binocular. Oh, it’s more like $2400. Thanks a lot.

And last, but not least…
“Why didn’t you tell me about this binocular sooner? I could have saved a small fortune!”

I never recommend the Nikon 8X32 SE to anyone. It’s because I don’t want to hear the following:

People tell me it’s the “old, outdated porro” style. I’m also treated like a complete birding novice. It hurts my feelings to be shunned.

You didn’t tell me the floppy eyecups are...so floppy. My friend’s $50 binocular has adjustable plastic eyecups. What gives?

It seems kind of lightweight. Shouldn’t it be heavier, more robust, and more bird-worthy?

The damn thing hangs funny.

I can’t use it in the rain? You’re kidding. I’ve used it in the rain several times but the view became really foggy. Funny thing…the fog stayed around for several days. Must be the weather.

My so-called friends at the birding club told me 32mm was too small. Size matters, so they say.

I have to apply force to make the damn focus work. I was told (by my friends at the birding club) that I’d miss a lot of wobblers because of the focus. I think they said wobblers but I might be wrong. Fast, little birds…those are the ones I’d miss…so they say.

You didn’t tell me the focus would slow down in cold weather. I never leave the house in winter but that’s a bummer.

It costs six hundred dollars? Are you nuts? I can buy 50 packs of smokes in NYC for six hundred dollars!

My friends at the birding club told me I couldn’t get much quality for six hundred dollars. They said if I wanted to be respected in the birding world I’d have to spend more than $2000…just like they did.

I have to buy what? You’re out of your mind. Based on your recommendation I bought the SE and, as you promised, got hooked on birding. Now you tell me I have to buy a watertight roof prism (whatever that means) for my upcoming pelagic trip to the Antarctic or suffer the consequences if I get the SE wet? What? To get the same quality I’ve grown accustomed to in my SE you suggest I spend north of $2000 for a roof prism binocular. Oh, it’s more like $2400. Thanks a lot.

And last, but not least…
“Why didn’t you tell me about this binocular sooner? I could have saved a small fortune!”

If people ask if they should buy an 8x32 SE, I usually refer them to Stephen Ingraham's classic review on BVD. It covers most of the objections above. I add a caveat about "image blackouts" since surprisingly, Ingraham doesn't mention that issue, and it seems to be the most common complaint.

Here's the review:
http://betterviewdesired.com/Nikon-Superior-E-8x32.php

In the long run, it's worth putting up with the other objections to get one satisfied buyer report what you wrote in the last "quote".

Despite whatever shortcomings the SE might have, in this time of economic uncertainty, it's comforting to know that there is still a pair of premium binoculars available for $600.

I had my SEs out yesterday and spotted eight juvenile swallows sitting atop rusted iron rods sticking out of cement blocks that were intended to be the foundation of a luxury hotel that was never completed after the recession hit. This was part of 70 acres of woodland cleared for commercial development.

I lifted my SEs to my eyes and enjoyed watching the feeding antics of this brood of 8 juveniles being fed by their parents. It was the first close up views I've gotten of swallows since they rarely stay in one place very long and are almost always "on the wing". Very colorful and beautiful birds.

I wish I had my camera with me, because the sight of the them sitting on those rusted rods would have made a pretty picture. It would have showed how they adapted to urban sprawl by using whatever suitable substitute structure they could find in their environment for trees.

The equidistant rods made perfect feeding perches for them. Just enough space for the parents to get in there and feed each one.

But how do the parents remember which ones they fed and which ones they didn't? Or does the "squeaky bird" get the most bugs?

<B>

Absolutely love my SEs! Small & light, sharp & bright. And I'm old enough to enjoy the retro look.
But key factor for me: the view is just so open, immersive and relaxing. Never a hint of eyestrain, always a pleasure to use. Magic!

Brian

Can't use it in the rain? ....eerr ok that's me not getting a set no matter how good the view on a dry day. As I go out in the rain so do my binoculars.

The amount of time SE owners spend worrying about what others think about their choice of binoculars staggers belief.

The amount of time SE owners spend worrying about what others think about their choice of binoculars staggers belief.

I do not at all. In fact, i like it they do not look "spendy" Less likely to get stolen I would think. Kinda like the retro look also:t:

Have had a lot of fun with alpha users who are curious why an old geezer would use the SE. When I see these groups, usually led by some fellow wearing a tan vest festooned with badges signifying this or that (reminds me of a Russian General fully decked out), I have difficulty concealing my mirth, and almost always offer one or two of them a peek through the "world's sharpest binocular", much to the chagrin of their esteemed leader.
John

I was trying to add a bit of levity to an otherwise unending discussion about the SE..

Me too (sort of).

It's a great bin but, as I have always known, not for everyone. Like fine wine and rare whiskey only a select few will appreciate the subtle textures, vibrant colors and exquisite natural detail delivered to the eye by a 7381. It's not an alpha; it is the alpha...

I should've known better than to try busting chops around here. You guys are just too quick on your feet! ;)

Last edited:
Here's the real reason Nikon doesn't make too many SE's:

The old ones just keep getting sold and resold and bought and rebought. They're great binoculars, but they aren't perfect for everyone. Evidentally they aren't perfect for quite a lot of folks. They make the rounds.

Buy one and keep it if you think it's the best thing you've ever seen. Sell it if, like me, you'd rather have something else.

Either way, it's not the holy grail.

I'm an atheist, binoculars and otherwise. I want real world proof, not armchair sermons. ;)

Mark

Buy one and keep it if you think it's the best thing you've ever seen. Sell it if, like me, you'd rather have something else.......
I'm an atheist, binoculars and otherwise. I want real world proof, not armchair sermons. ;)

Mark

Quick, someone prepare a pyre and stake for the SE Apostate! Actually I'm one too, so we're doomed, Mark. Everyone knows which are God's Binoculars, but only Mark and I know what the Opposition useso:) (I couldn't find a little satanic smiley, so the angel will have to do).

The old ones just keep getting sold and resold and bought and rebought. They're great binoculars, but they aren't perfect for everyone. Evidentally they aren't perfect for quite a lot of folks. They make the rounds.

it's not the holy grail.

Mark

Mark,

I think that you may be on to something: there is no holy grail of binoculars.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Did anyone mention the EII's or did I just blow it?
My 10X35's are just a pure joy to my eyes, OK I just did it, the cats out of the bag again!

Did anyone mention the EII's or did I just blow it? My 10X35's are just a pure joy to my eyes, OK I just did it, the cats out of the bag again!

I agree. As I said in another post (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=231570&page=4), I've used an 8x30 EII since 2000 and never tire of its stunningly clear, sharp, immersive view. It's an amazing binocular for the money. I'm a fair weather birder - I sit in the hide when it rains - so the lack of waterproofing isn't too much of a problem for me.

The 8x32 SE is also stunning, of course, and feels slightly more robust than the EII.

Two years ago out of pure indulgence and nostalgia I purchased a Swarovski 30x75 draw tube telescope which I enjoy using.
Would the Nikon 8x32SE be the complementary binocular?
What is the close focussing distance in reality and how good would you say they are for observing butterflies and dragonflies?

Brock: I've been waiting for someone to respond to your 'knight in shining armour without a horse', but in vain. Since the SE is not meant to have water in it, it wouldn't be much use as a Holy Grail, so you won't be able to do 'the full Monty', but that doesn't mean it can't be a holy relic with the magical powers of an all-seeing-eye. "Seek and thou shalt find", as long as it's not raining, but you could always check the rain gauge outside the Town Hall whenever the weather is inclement. If you happen to see Eric Olthwaite while you're there, give him my regards, but be warned: he's noted for being incredibly boring so don't expect any ripping yarns...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back