• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Australian birds (1 Viewer)

Happy wench

England
Hi there!

I wonder if someone could kindly id these 2 birds sounds. This was my 3rd wonderful trip to Australia, and the video was taken in Victoria along the Old Kinglake Road.

Many thanks!

Kind Regards

Emma

Attachments

• 20240111_173733_1.mp4
    15.5 MB
Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you soon.

Hi Emma and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Your recording is of a Whipbird and I think you will have the Eastern Whipbird there: Eastern Whipbird - BirdForum Opus, but I'm not sure which part of Victoria you are referring to, so it might be Western.

Oh how frustrating those whipbirds are... tried for weeks to get a recording and only managed a juvenile at O'Reilly's. Saw a movement under a shrub once in an area where one had been calling!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I think it may be a Superb Lyrebird pretending to be an Eastern Whipbird and at the end of the clip a White-throated Treecreeper. Although whipbirds are certainly in that area too, as are WT treecreepers so it could just be two different birds!
There is some high twittering that I think is Striated Thornbills too.

Western Whipbird is highly unlikely anywhere in Victoria. It was considered likely extinct in the state until a year or so ago when they were found in a remote spot in the mallee in the far west of the state, so we can rule that out at least ๐Ÿ˜†

I think it may be a Superb Lyrebird pretending to be an Eastern Whipbird and at the end of the clip a White-throated Treecreeper. Although whipbirds are certainly in that area too, as are WT treecreepers so it could just be two different birds!
There is some high twittering that I think is Striated Thornbills too.

Western Whipbird is highly unlikely anywhere in Victoria. It was considered likely extinct in the state until a year or so ago when they were found in a remote spot in the mallee in the far west of the state, so we can rule that out at least ๐Ÿ˜†
Thanks MJ.

Never thought of a copycat, but I was considering moving the post to the ID forum in case others with maybe better hearing than me could hear anything else. And think I may still do that.

My attempts to record the whipbird drove me mad! Got loads of part recordings and one where I even said a naughty word! All made worse, as I've no idea how to get them off my phone onto the computer anyway!!!

Never thought of a copycat,
Actually listening to some of my recordings, wondering if one or two of them may also be "copycats". Particularly one taken on 8th November, when we visited Denmark, WA. I wasn't aware of "Western Whipbird" at that stage, let alone the rarity of them, but the recording does sound 'odd' in comparison with the ones over on the east.

Thanks for your replies!I I'd forgotten about the treecreeper, I did id that during my last visit (6 years ago and I'd forgotten!) and there were lyrebirds being monitored in this gorgeous forest.

Attachments

• 20240111_165342.jpg
    20240111_165342.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Hi, canโ€™t help with the IDs. Just wanted to add one more welcome to the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back