• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help Pembrokeshire UK (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
I would be very greatful if some one could ID this for me. I think I know what it is but haven't seen one for a few years so would like some confirmation if possible. It was taken from St David's Head, Pembrokeshire last week. It was some distance away and this is heavily cropped.
Many thanks

Dave

Attachments

• querybird.jpg
    querybird.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 257
The white on it's neck does seem wider than for a BTDiver and the bill seems to point upwards which would indicate RTDiver?

Dave

Head position suggests Red Throated, but is the back of the head/neck too dark, and does the black patch at the base look more like the black stripe you get on Black Throated necks.
Saw a bird very much like this last autumn off Cley with some very experienced sea watchers which stared off as Red Throated until we got a clear view of the head and neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back