• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help- San Diego, California, August 29th 2021 (with pictures) (1 Viewer)

RoadRunnerFan

United States
Hi there, first-time poster 👋

I really love identifying birds in my area. Today, I came across a pair of small birds who for the life of me, I cannot find a match for online. I thought they might be some sort of finch, but I am not sure.

Here are a few pictures(low quality, sorry), and two videos.
bird1.jpegbird2.jpeg
Link to the videos:
Both birds were hanging out in the long grass and nibbling on it. They have a tightly spotted underbelly and a dark-brown back, with a little, yellow-ish, fan-shaped tail. Very sleek looking birds! I couldn't hear them call.

I've never seen them before, so I thought they might be escapee pets. I have seen a zebra finch in the area, so there is a precedent. I appreciate any help I can get!

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)
Thank you! Most of my attempts at identification just amount to me balancing binoculars while furiously flipping through Sibley's guide to birds, so it is very handy to know there is a dedicated and active community online. I will no doubt return with more questions.

Also, after looking at it, Scaly-breasted Munia really does seem to be the exact match. Thank you, everyone!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back