• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID spanish tree frogs (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Going through my trip photos with the help of Axel Kwet's European Reptile and Amphibian Guide '(2008 new holland)

It looks like we were in an area with two different tree frog species.

This first one, taken in the woods north of Garciaz Extremadura looks like Common tree frog to me,
ctf.jpg

Whereas these (sorry for the poor photos) which were taken inside on the plains just north of Trujillo of frogs that wandered in through a gap in the wall look more like Stripleless Tree frog,

sltf.jpg

stltf.jpg

Two more angles of the second frog (there were 5 there of same species photos might not be same individual)

Attachments

• C7236239-DAC1-4DFE-9E9E-9C45340C302B.png
    C7236239-DAC1-4DFE-9E9E-9C45340C302B.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 5ECBD192-33D8-4F68-B8F7-1138DB26FC6F.png
    5ECBD192-33D8-4F68-B8F7-1138DB26FC6F.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 5
Looks to me like the first must be Iberian Tree Frog Hyla molleri and the second is indeed H. meridionalis (I'm hoping to see it in Menorca!).

Chris

Looks to me like the first must be Iberian Tree Frog Hyla molleri and the second is indeed H. meridionalis (I'm hoping to see it in Menorca!).

Chris

Thanks so much Chris

My book has molleri relegated to subspecies of common (arborea). But the book was out of date on lizards so might be on frogs.

The stripeless ID is the key one anyway. So thanks. Hope you see it

Common now divided on range into Common H. arborea, Iberian H. molleri, Italian H. intermedia and Eastern H. orientalis (which we have here). Then there are Stripeless H. meridionalis and Tyrrhenian H. sarda.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back