• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID this bird? (1 Viewer)

Michael W

Mountain Chickadee
Hello,
Here's another bird for ID. Shouldn't be too hard (for some!). Taken on September 19, 2003.

Good luck!
Michael

Attachments

• 143_4386.jpg
    143_4386.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 309
RED-breasted Nuthatch (despite the white underside! - White-breasted doesn't have the black eye line).

Perched in a Ponderosa Pine (do I get a bonus for identifying this??)

Michael

I don't know.....and I'm firm on that.

Michael. Ever hug a Ponderosa and stick your nose right up against the bark? UMMM......vanilla.

dennis

Hi Dennis,

I get turpentine smell from Ponderosa. Quite different from the lemony scent of Jeffrey Pine (and can be a useful way to tell these two apart in Calif)

Pinus ponderosa resin is mainly alpha-pinene (a bicyclic sesquiterpene, if that means anything to anyone!), whereas Jeffrey Pine resin is over 90% n-heptane (an aliphatic hydrocarbon, a very rare substance as a plant product). This led to great fun in the pioneering days in CA, when the settlers tried distilling resin products. Ponderosa Pine resin worked well in the stills, but when they used Jeffrey Pine resin, the stills promptly exploded. Since the two species are very similar to look at, they got into a state of complete nervousness, never knowing whether a batch of resin was liable to blow them sky-high or not . . .

Michael

Well Michael F., I must be smelling another species. On a trip to Bryce Canyon, Utah a park ranger had us all hugging what he called Ponderosa Pines. A very sweet smell. Perhaps he was incorrect or my sniffer is broke.

I am inclined to believe that Larry is the closest to iding that bird.

dennis

Well.... on further inspection the tail isn't right for the nuthatch. And this is a bird found in the NA?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back