• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify this bird for me please? (1 Viewer)

Identify this bird for me please? (Ibiza, Spain)

Hello, I live in Ibiza, Spain.
I saw this bird today. It is nesting on the front of one of the rooms that are rented out at a villa I often work on (I'm a builder). Every time I walked up to the door today this litte bird was swooping across my path and landing on a wall and turning around to look at me. I knew it must have a nest somewhere that it was trying to distract me from and it took me a while to suss out where it was coming from. I got the repairs in the room ready for painting and stayed away from that part of the property for the rest of the afternoon. I'll pop back soon and get the first coat of paint on the repairs and try not to disturb the bird too much
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad271/bigbruvofenglanduk/birdnestingmyl2013-06-17_zps75ce1971.jpg?t=1371483919

Sounds about right. They're usually about 14 cm. One of my favourite birds. Getting very rare in the UK. Make sure you don't disturb the bird, it's important the eggs stay warm...maybe you could put the work off a little longer, maybe till the chicks have hatched?

There were people staying in the room last week up until last Saturday. The wall light that the nest is on is about two metres of the ground.
I think the eggs will stay fairly warm. It's about 26C down here this week and the bird was getting back on the nest very quickly.
If I had spotted the nest before I had done any preparation I could have left that little job until after the birds had left the nest. I'll try to find out from the property manager if that room is going to be occupied this weekend. If fit isn't, I can put the job off for a while longer.
The painting will literally take 5 mins per coat and it will need 2-3 coats. I dont know if it would be best to get all the coats done in one day or just make one visit to the room per day?

Right ok, if you can't put it off, maybe one a day would be better in my opinion...as little disturbance as possible. Great that you care about the bird (this one is the female) and her chicks. :t:

There are 7 lads coming to stay at the villa on Thursday evening for a few days so I had to put 1 heavyish coat of paint on the repairs yesterday and then left it. She was still on the nest today. I could see her from quite a distance without disturbing her. I'm going to speak to the property manager tomorrow (He has not been there for a few days) to ask him if he can tell the lads about the nest and ask if they would be so kind to try not to disturb it too much.

UPDATE: The lads did their best not to cause too much of a disturbance. I was at the house on Saturday and she was still on the nest. The owner and some friends have been staying there for the past few days. I told the owner about the nest so it should be ok. I'm going there on the 3rd. Hopefully all is well.

Thanks, mate.

UPDATE: The owners and some of their friends were there for a few days and one of them stayed on for another couple of days on his own (house hunting) but he was quiet.
The big news is there is now a chick.
The house will probably be empty now for about a week if there are no bookings. All the work I have to do around there is well away from the nest. Last week I had to remove a big pile of palm leaves and other cuttings from another part of the garden. The mother was coming over to catch insects.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back