• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm thinking about selling my 8x42s for 7x42s (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

Now that I own both 8x32 Nikon SEs and Trinovid BNs, I feel my fantastic 8x42 Ultravid BR is redundant. After running into a woman at a birdwatching refuge with a 7x42 Zeiss Classic who let me try it I am hooked on that large, easy picture. I see some very good demo deals on various bins including Leica 7x42 BRs and HDs, also Zeiss FLTs and Swaro 7x42 SLCs. I think I'm going to put my 8x42 on consignment and try a 7x42 Ultravid HD or maybe the Zeiss. The SLC is too heavy for my liking. Does anybody have any experience with either of these two bins? Also now that it's been out over a year, do you see an improvement with the HD over the BR?

Thanks,
John

John,

I am a little confused. Were you inquiring about the Ultravid and Ultravid HD or the Ultravid and the FL in the 7x42 configuration?

If it is the latter then you know my feelings on the FL. It is probably my favorite bin in that configuration period. The Ultravid is equally good but excels in different areas than the FLs. I will save further comment until I see which direction you are headed in.

Ron,
Dim?
The sunshine and vistas in New Mexico must not be as bright as I was given to believe.

If I get a chance to visit there, should I bring my 7 x 42 Trinovid BN or my 8 x 32 SE?
Bob

Last edited:
Actually I'm considering all in 7x42 configuation, the two Ultravids and the Zeiss FLT, even a nice used Zeiss Classic would interest me. Since I now own a very cherry 8x42 Ultravid BR and a brand new 8x32BN and am able to daily compare them to my two SEs, I'm starting to think there might be a slight mismatch between my eyes and Leica optics which makes them a bid finicky to avoid the "grey-out" issue. Both of my Leica's are exceeding sharp and wonderful in every way except they are not as relaxing. The larger 8x42 is definitely easier than the little BN, but it is still there. I was hoping that problem wouldn't exist with the 7x42 and its very large EP, but there may be other issues that lead to my problem.

This problem is so slight to be barely noticeable while testing in a store. I think I'm going start another thread asking the experts about black-outs, causes and degrees.

That green BN looks great but I'd like to keep the weight down around 27 oz or so. Also as I am in effect trading my most expensive, best binocular, I want to trade even or upgrade slightly if that makes sense.

John

Bob,
That raises a good question: on a state-by-state basis, what is the ideal binocular?

Some people simply say for long view out west you need a 10x, period, but I don't think it's that simple, here in New Mexico, unless you're looking at antlers on an elk two miles away.

The sun is usually out,making a rather blinding scene on the typical sparsely vegetated terrain. I usually wear a brimmed hat and risk cataracts without sunglasses to better enjoy binocular views. But there are times when my eyes just get tired of the brightness, or there's snow, and I give in and put on the sunglasses, and then I appreciate click-down eyecups with good eye relief. All the exposed earth and rock heats up worse than a thick coat of vegetation would, and contributes to mirage, which is often so bad that 7x shows all there is to see. One often finds oneself scrambling through rocky terrain, with the swinging binocular going clunk clunk on the rocks. Of course there are woods too, where the birds are close and quick. Factor in the high spring winds that fill the air with blowing dust and sand, and you definitely want good sealing. All in all, I'd say the 7x42 Trinovid covers the bases better, even though the Porro SE would win a pure optics contest.
Ron

Last edited:
John,

With those comments in mind the Zeiss FL 7x42 is certainly my favorite. I have never had an issue with eye placement/blackouts with it and I personally think that it and the SE represent the highest level of image quality out there. The others in question all perform superbly but in different areas than I tend to prefer. Sharpness, brightness and lack of color fringing are the Zeiss's strong points.

Funny that my initial high-end binocular configuration that I saved for was a 7x42 euro something. But I listened to the smarty pants store clerks, who steered me to 10x42Lecia, 8x32Swaro, 7x30Swaro, I guess I am too easy, and did not know about this forum at the time. And my favorite bino is my oldest that I wanted to replace, a 7x42 B&L Discoverer. It just seems to have automatic focus and I can concentrate on the view and not fiddling with the focus knob.

Walking through my local sporting goods shop last weekend, I spotted his last non-Lotutec pair of 7x42 FLs. One look and that was all I needed. I bought them that same day.

When compared to my 7x42 Ultravid, they are brighter and because of the reduced CA, are noticeably sharper as well.

That being said, I'm not going to give up any in my small collection. I have sold bins in the past thinking that I would have no use for them after buying something that I thought was "better" and ended up buying them again down the road.

Each bin has its pros/cons. As previously noted, keep the 8x and add the 7x to your collection! :t:

Rgds,

Steffan

Ok, I'm keeping the 8x42BRs. I sold the 8x32BN to a guy on the 24 Campfire forum. I didn't need two 8x32s and the SE definitely was better for me. Plus after not using the 8x42 BRs for about a month I was shocked at how good they are. So I will live with their extra weight, use them a home, in the vehicle and on the trail when it is too rainy to risk getting the little SEs wet. Thank you for all of your advice. I will be saving for a 7x42 in the future.

John

John, I too am saving for a 7x42 Ultravid. I mainly use my 10x42 Ultravid BL for birding but after experimenting with my 7x50 William Optics (IF binocular), I love the crystal clear and 'quiet' view this magnification provides (if only it was centre focus...). For this reason, I decided that a 7x42 is also for me. Which left me in a quandry as to what to do.

I thought of selling/trading the 10x42 for the 7x42. This way I would be able to channel the funds of one very expensive binocular on another very expensive binocular, however but after developing stronger muscles and learning to hold the 10x42 steady, we struck a deal: I loved the magnified views it provides and the benefits of a longer reach when viewing raptors and decided to keep it. The weight of the 10x42 at 695 grams is ideal for those two, to three hour uninterrupted bushwalks.

This being the case, I think I will be a 10x42 and a 7x42 kind of guy. Until I slowly save for the 7x42 Ultravid, I will casually use the 7x50 William Optics, suspended from a harness of course (it weighs 1.6 kg), just to get excited as to what's to come. This 7x50 monster will be focussed at an average distance to avoid the need to rapidly change from near to far as best as possible. Not ideal, but not as problematic as I first thought before I started using this method, until I save enough money for the 7x42 without compromising the budget.

After sharing so many birding adventures, stargazing views and the pleasurable almost daily use I get from my 10x42 Ultravid, I know that I will miss him if I let it go... if only it didn't suffer from the slight but annoying CA in those strongly backlit situation, it would be perfect.

Clear skies to all.

Wal.

Wal,
You are kind of in the same boat as me, I really can't justify owning two very expensive bins. I would love to have an alpha quality 7x42 but, I think I would have to pay an additional $600.00 - $800.00 on top of what I would be able to sell my pre-HD 8x42 Ultravids for to get one. For that money I'd rather keep my eyes out on ebay for a nice 7x42 Zeiss Classic and keep the excellent but slightly obsolete BRs.

If those dastardly Chinese would build a Zen Ray 7x42, or better yet 7x35, my problem would be solved. Or if there was someone out there with a mint 7x42 Zeiss FLT or Ultravid, who wanted to trade for my mint 8x42 BR, that would work to.

John

John, together: "Leica users, Leica users, any takers for a 8x42, any takers for a 10x42, we only wish to swap them for 7x42's - no cash involved!! :)

wal.

John and Wal, good luck 'cause the only way to get that out of your system is to get a 7x42. At least that's what happened to me a year ago. I wound up with a 7x42 BR Uvid. It is a great all 'round bin alright. I recommend them.

John, together: "Leica users, Leica users, any takers for a 8x42, any takers for a 10x42, we only wish to swap them for 7x42's - no cash involved!! :)

wal.

There must be somebody out there, as Kevin said, only getting a 7x42 is going to relieve us of the overwhelming longing for binocular heaven.;) Might have to save up and buy. I wish my local store stocked 7x42 so I could put one on lay-away, but around here 10x42 rules and eight power is considered light.

Good luck down under, I get to converse with folks from all around the world, the internet is a wonderful thing.

John

John,
I see you just sold an 8x32 BN so I wanted to share this with you.
Having a 7x42 BR -and- a 8x32 BN, I can say with conviction that I don't have a favorite. They both have their charms and preferred usages. I do know however, that the last bin I would ever trade away is the 8x32 BN as nothing like it is is print now and I see it as a coveted classic. It is without doubt, the best handling and friendliest binocular I've ever owned, or used. There are options with 7x42s, though I still like the Leicas a little more than the others. ;)

Last edited:
Oh yeah! a 7X35 Chinese ED! just what I was thinking/wishing about earlier in the week.
Say for around $350 or less- I'd snatch one up in a NYMinute...

Been on an IS jag, though, lately, but am finding the 10X42 IS L's just a little too dark in late afternoon heavy wooded conditions, like what we had here yesterday on the Texas coast. Had FOS Worm-eating, Summer Tanager, even a nice western visitor, Ash-throated F/Catcher. 10 warblers in all, not a bad day, but, it was really dark, dank and rainy.

As much as I like the Canons, I wound up going back to my first love under such conditions, the 42FL's. "Brigher than day" is what sold a birding acquaintance on a pair as well. With a rock steady picture and humongous depth of field and good close focus for those Hooded warbs at your boots, there really is nothing I have used that quite match up. Except maybe my 7X cherry Night Owls...

Count me a fan of the Zeiss,

regards to all,
UTC

John,
I see you just sold an 8x32 BN so I wanted to share this with you.
Having a 7x42 BR -and- a 8x32 BN, I can say with conviction that I don't have a favorite. They both have their charms and preferred usages. I do know however, that the last bin I would ever trade away is the 8x32 BN as nothing like it is is print now and I see it as a coveted classic. It is without doubt, the best handling and friendliest binocular I've ever owned, or used. There are options with 7x42s, though I still like the Leicas a little more than the others. ;)
Kevin, I think you were part of the discussion when I was considering and then buying the 8x32BNs. I totally agree with you about their handling, actually everything about them, except for me, they were really prone to black-outs, and as I concurently purchased a pair of 8x32 SEs the difference in ease of view was dramatic and really ruined the BN experience for me.

Before I had the SEs to compare, I had put the BNs up against 8x32 ELs, Ultravid BR and HD and 8x30 SLC. As I noted back then, they took second place behind the ELs optically and I absolutely loved their ergonomics. They combine a nice compact size, great feel in the hand, easy to carry in a pocket, Leica old school tank like construction and great sharp image. At the time I did notice they were a little hard to hold right for a full image, but not bad, certainly better than the Ultravids which were very prone to black-outs. I just wanted them so bad I looked past that slight problem.

I would probably have used them for a lifetime and not really noticed the black-outs if I hadn't bought the 8x32 SEs right at the same time. The SEs werre every bit as good optically, actually better, plus a very easy view, no black-out problem whatsoever. That's a bit ironic as I was really woried about buying the SEs sight unseen, with their bad reputation for black-outs and all. Anyway I can certainly see how that little BN would be your favorite bin, it was close to being my favorite bin.

John

Yeah John, I remember all that. Some people get blackouts with 8x32 BNs and others get them with 8x32 SEs. You're the former, I'm the latter. I remember you lamenting this issue regarding the little BNs as well as your praise of their other traits. I guess I brought all that up as a way of quantifying my level of appreciation for the 7x42 Uvids, that is to say pretty much on a par with my little BNs and that's high praise indeed!

The 7x42 Uvids have more eye relief than the Leica 10x42s, 8x42s, or especially, the 8x32BNs. Since you get on well with the 8x32 SEs, I'm guessing you'll really like the 7x42 Uvids.

One thing though, if I were buying a pair of 7x42 Uvids today I think I would look for a demo or other bargain on a pair of the HD versions. Not so much for any optical improvements, though I might be surprised there were some, but for the hydrophobic coatings. Nice in the wet, easier to clean. This applies to another maker's bins as well, if they buoy yer boat better.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back